B17

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jhor9

Airman
Apr 2, 2006
Pompano Beach, Florida
If anyone has a question, perhaps I can answer. I had 450 combat hours during WW2. 50 combat sorties from July 43 to Feb 44. i also had 3 rides within the last 10 years

Welcome Jhor! Its great we have a veteran here that can give us valuable insights into the air war of WW2

My first question is what BG's did fly in?

And, just of curiosity, did you have any flights in the Collins foundation B17..."909"?

syscom3 said:
Welcome Jhor! Its great we have a veteran here that can give us valuable insights into the air war of WW2

My first question is what BG's did fly in?

And, just of curiosity, did you have any flights in the Collins foundation B17..."909"?

I was in the 99th B.G. in the 12th then 15th Air Force, flying out of Tunis then Foggia

Several weeks ago the Collings B17, B24 and B25 were at 3 local airports in my area, for a total of 11 days. I've been acting as a docent for the last 15 years when they stop here

They have never offered me a ride and I certainly wont pay for it. 3 years ago EEAs Aluminum Overcast stopped enroute to Kitty Hawk., they invited me to have a ride.

A company at Ft.Lauderdale Executive airport that does restoration and refurbishing work brought a plane in from Bolivia and restored it, about 8 years ago.. I helped in some of the coolie work, when it was finally in pristene condition I got to ride in it. The big thrill was when Don Whittington put me in the copilots seat and I had the controls for about 10 minutes, when i got out of the seat I asked him if i should go to the rear and push it a little bit. It was a great experience after 55 years.

Jhor, what crew position were you? Pilot or copilot?

In 1994, I took a ride in the Collings foundations B17. That was a fun!

Very cool and welcome to the site - my question...

How far forward was the pilots seat from the top turret?!?!

Many thanks and again welcome!

evangilder said:
Welcome aboard, jhor9! I am sure I speak for most of us here when I say thank you for your service.
Indeed! Welcome aboard! My grandfather is a bomber veteran as well, and it's great to hear from the boys who were actually there! :salute:

Pleased to meet ya! :cool:

Jhor, Im curious about the training that the pilots had.

Can you give us some idea's on the actual number of hours you and your colleagues actually flew during training. Was it more or less than the official required hours?

How did you get selected to fly B17's?

Thanks!

jhor9 said:
Can anyone put an avatar of me on this site? If so, and you send me your e-mail I can send you a picture. I don't know how to do it.

You can send it to me in a PM (private message). I can get it reduced in size to fit the parameters and get it to you.

Jules go up to the left and click the red evangilder. look at the box and find send evangilder a private message. when you get to that then attache your small photo to send to Eric. He then can reduce it for you, sending it back so you can place it with your profile.

does this make sense ?

Erich ~

Erich said:
Jules go up to the left and click the red evangilder. look at the box and find send evangilder a private message. when you get to that then attache your small photo to send to Eric. He then can reduce it for you, sending it back so you can place it with your profile.

does this make sense ?

Erich ~

I believe that you already have it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back