Bad day for aircraft and fires... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gumbyk

Master Sergeant
Apr 2, 2009
Blenheim
Seems there's a BA plane on fire now in LAS:
COaspLqUwAA2LL0.jpg

via Twitter/@Bradley_Hampton

Buggeration ! What's happening in the aviation world this year ? I guess we picked the wrong year to give up glue sniffing ! (With apologies to Lloyd Bridges, and the cast of 'Airplane').

Surely, it must be one of the worst years for major incidents.
But don't call me Shirley...........

Looks like the crew (and the pax)did a great job during the evacuation with only two minor injuries!

I heard just before it happened the tower heard:

Person 1: "Cigarette?"
Person 2: "Yes I know"
Then BOOM!

I'm leaving without my hat and coat......

Looks like the crew (and the pax)did a great job during the evacuation with only two minor injuries!

All reports say the flight and cabin crew did a great job, and thankfully no serious injuries. I am always amazed how cool the pilots sound.

All reports say the flight and cabin crew did a great job, and thankfully no serious injuries. I am always amazed how cool the pilots sound.

Entirely agree...but I think some of the "coolness" is down to the nature of radio comms. Ideal quality is obtained by moderate volume without huge changes in voice amplitude. Speaking in such a manner will come across as being very calm. Start shouting or rapidly changing amplitude, and the message can get garbled on the receiving end. During my time in the Service, I recall doing a training course which was attended by personnel from all different branches, including air traffic control. One of the tasks was to deliver a 10 minute talk...and every single ATC bod was marked down for having a monotone, dull voice (which is, ironically, the exact mode of speech that had been beaten into them at Shawbury during professional training so they could be understood over the radio).

However, not detracting from the professionalism of the crew in getting everyone off safely (despite people taking baggage with them!), and also for the fire crew which responded so quickly. I hadn't realized the aircraft was actually on its take-off run and approaching 90 mph when the fire started. Ceremonial and virtual doffing of hat to all involved in this successful outcome.

However, not detracting from the professionalism of the crew in getting everyone off safely (despite people taking baggage with them!), and also for the fire crew which responded so quickly. I hadn't realized the aircraft was actually on its take-off run and approaching 90 mph when the fire started. Ceremonial and virtual doffing of hat to all involved in this successful outcome.

As usual, here there are varying reports, some say it was taxiing, others say it took 12 seconds to halt. The BBC praised the pilots prompt decision to stop and evacuate the aircraft, I am sure the flight crew had their hands full with all sorts to do quickly but I dont think halting and getting out of a burning plane is a hard decision to make. Doing it all quickly and safely is another matter. Happily the plane wasnt engulfed maybe designs have changed to prevent or slow down fires to give passengers and crew a better chance.

I am impressed that the BBC found an eyewitness called, and I kid you not "Reggie Bugmuncher"

Glad everyone got off ok though all seems a bit similar to the Manchester airport plan fire where many people died !

As usual, here there are varying reports, some say it was taxiing, others say it took 12 seconds to halt. The BBC praised the pilots prompt decision to stop and evacuate the aircraft, I am sure the flight crew had their hands full with all sorts to do quickly but I dont think halting and getting out of a burning plane is a hard decision to make. Doing it all quickly and safely is another matter. Happily the plane wasnt engulfed maybe designs have changed to prevent or slow down fires to give passengers and crew a better chance.
Depends on what their V speeds were. If they aborted after V1 (go/no go speed) then the decision would have been very difficult, even if a quick decision was made.

Must give a mention to Airport services, first call received at 4:13, response underway at 4:14 fire out and passengers off at 4:18 thats great work.

I must say to me it looked like the tyres are burning, the engine cowling still has its paint on but everyone says the engine caught fire, later photos show the hold is wrecked, it will be interesting to see what the report says.

Last edited:
Must give a mention to Airport services, first call received at 4:13, response underway at 4:14 fire out and passengers off at 4:18 thats great work.

I must say to me it looked like the tyres are burning, the engine cowling still has its paint on but everyone says the engine caught fire, later photos show the hold is wrecked, it will be interesting to see what the report says.

Yeah, pretty good response times - ICAO standards are for 3 minutes to respond.

To me, it looks like it could be a brake fire.

On the ABC news this evening, I was cringing during the whole report.

Such things as:
"The fire crews were on scene within minutes to splash water on the inferno" and "if it weren't for the aircraft's fuselage being there, the passengers may have been exposed to the terrible heat and flames"

I imagine that if it weren't for the aircraft's fuselage "being there", the trip would be a little breezy, too...

There was video from inside shot by a passenger. Apparently it would seem to have been the engine giving up the ghost from the sound it made. Footage of the plane later would indicate that it should be salvaged for parts and scrapped. I wouldn't want fly on that airframe if it were rebuilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back