Bare Metal Foil

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

prem895

Staff Sergeant
Oct 7, 2012
Toronto/Beijing
I have seen this product before and thought it was for car model trim only,like chrome bumpers,door handles and chrome trim around window.I want to know if anyone has used this stuff for ,lets say a nmf on a b-25. Was it cost effective as opposed to spraying it with Alclad 2. How was it to work with and will it just cover up surface detail,or will it conform to parts like a fuselage to the wing and look the part. Is it like tin foil or gold leaf or somewhere in between. The reason I ask this is because I was thinking of giving it a try ,if the answers I am looking for are favorable

Attachments

• mPlVsJRt6emdFaUhWF9ZpPw.jpg
    mPlVsJRt6emdFaUhWF9ZpPw.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 78
I used some years ago, in both the chrome and 'dull' form. It can give a very realistic look if you want a 'shiny' model, but can also look out of scale. It's also a bit tricky to apply, as you need to cut each individual panel. That said, in some cases, one or two panels using the foil, with the rest painted, can be effective.
I'll be using some for a few panels on an E.E. Lightning, but I'll probably use the aluminium tape used in heating and ventilating - it's more or less the same stuff.

Yep, my older brother used to use that, back in the 1950's, and I vaguely remember using it on a 1/72nd scale P-51 in the 1960's, using both sides to provide variation in panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back