Battle Damaged Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

97208fb4089e46f8d83e15f7683785d2-640x500.jpg

from

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/wa...rds-haunting-images-of-b-24-liberators.html/2

I remember first seeing that shot when I was a kid in the Time-Life WW II book series. If I rember right it was caused by over breaking and the two men in the nose and both pilots were killed. Must not have been too fun for the waist gunners either.

I remember first seeing that shot when I was a kid in the Time-Life WW II book series. If I rember right it was caused by over breaking and the two men in the nose and both pilots were killed. Must not have been too fun for the waist gunners either.

Funny thing, that's where I remember it from also! :lol:

The first one seems to have landed on an RAF base.

Maybe one of Bomber Command's emergency landing strips. They had 9,000ft runways which were four or five times as wide as a standard runway, and were for precisely this sort of emergency.. I know of three at Carnaby, Manston and Woodbridge.

Cheers

Steve

The take-off began in a normal manner. Airplane took off.
Pilot used brakes to stop rotation of the main gear.
Airplane settled back to runway with brakes on.

Nose wheel hit runway and collapsed. Airplane slid forward on nose section and main gear. Marks on runway indicate this.
Airplane slid off end of runway and through field for about 150 yards until it hit a low dirt embankment on side of small road.

Airplane was up ended into vertical position on nose section.

The report goes on to say that investigation determined that the "throttles were full forward, trim tabs were set properly, half-flaps were down." The final recommendation was that "All pilots should be instructed on dangers of retracting main gear too soon and of applying brakes too soon after take-off."
The pilot, co-pilot, bombardier, navigator, engineer, and radio operator were killed. Two of the four remaining crew (rear gunners) had minor injuries, and two were uninjured.

The aircraft was unstable and leaning forward like it was going to fall flat on its top. The rescue crews secured it with cable At least one of the crew in the nose was still alive, but they couldn't get to him in time.

A badly damaged British Liberator, seen here back in England after it had been struck by a falling bomb dropped from a squadron mate in mid-flight. The British largely used their Liberators as long-range anti-submarine and maritime patrol aircraft.
208-.jpg

Crashlanded Boeing B-17F-75-BO Flying Fortress 42-29891 "Dangerous Dan" of the 379th Bomb Group 524th BS. England December 1943.
B-17_Battle_Damaged_379th_Bomb_Group_Flying_Fortress_42-.jpg

The B-24 in Post #673 is Liberator B.VI, serial number KK320, 'V-Victor', of 37 Sqn. based in Italy (not England), which was hit by bombs from another Squadron aircraft, at 12,500 feet over Montfalcone, on 16th March 1945.
The pic below shows the bombs just before impact.

Post #678 shows B-17 'Hang the Expense' after its return from Frankfurt on 24th January, 1944. The tail gunner was Roy Urich, who, although severely injured, survived as a PoW !!

Lib Pic 001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back