Battle of Britain 2010 Group build....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

and lets not forget Epr. 210!

I'm not sure the Ju 88 was in the BoB unless in the very later stages and as an early Mk of the machine.

II./KG76 from Creil: Ju 88
III./KG4 from Amsterdam/Schiphol: Ju 88
I., II., III./LG1 from Orleans/Bricy and Chateaudun: Ju 88
Stabschwarme/KG40 from Brest-Guipavas: Ju 88
Kampfgruppe 806 from Nantes: Ju 88
Aufklärungsgruppe 121, 3. Staffel from North-West France: Ju 88
I., II., III.,/KG51 from Melun, Orly and Étampes: Ju 88
I., II.,/KG54 from Evreux and St. Andre-de-L'Eure: Ju 88
Aufklärungsgruppe 121, 3. Staffel from Villacoublay: Ju 88
Aufklärungsgruppe 123, 2. Staffel from Paris: Ju 88
Stabschwarme, I., II., III./KG30 Aalborg and Aalborg-West: Ju 88
Aufklärungsgruppe 120, 1. Staffel from Stavanger: Ju 88
Aufklärungsgruppe 121, 1. Staffel from Stavanger Ju 88
Aufklärungsgruppe Ob.d.L, 1. Staffel, Autonomous, no fixed location: Ju 88

By August 1940 A-1s and A-5s were reaching operational units, just as the battle was intensifying. The Battle of Britain proved very costly. Its faster speed did not prevent Ju 88 losses exceeding those of its Dornier Do 17 and Heinkel He 111 stablemates, despite being deployed in smaller numbers than either. Ju 88 losses over Britain in 1940 amounted to 313 machines between July-October 1940. Do 17 and He 111 losses for the same period amounted to 132 and 252 machines destroyed respectively. A series of field kits were made to make it less vulnerable, including the replacement of the rear machine gun by a twin barreled machine gun, and additional cockpit armour.

It was during the closing days of the Battle of Britain that the flagship Ju 88 A-4 went into service. Although slower yet than the A-1, nearly all of the troubles of the A-1 were gone, and finally the Ju 88 matured into a superb warplane. The A-4 actually saw additional improvements including more powerful engines, but, unlike other aircraft in the Luftwaffe, did not see a model code change. The Ju 88 C series also benefited from the A-4 changes, and when the Luftwaffe finally did decide on a new heavy fighter, the Ju 88 C was a powerful, refined aircraft.

Nice JG map Chris, although, of course, there were changes due to movements of some JG's, and some changing Luftflotte.
Yep, the JU88 certainly did some damage, even though they suffered heavy losses. A heavy raid on Portsmouth did cause us some problems, and at least one by '88's on the north east did massive damage. Somewhere, I've got some shots of '88's at low level over England during the BoB. No doubt, when the build comes around, I'll be posting a number of hopefully helpful bits and pieces, as this Batlle has long been one of my 'pets'.

taka taka taka....

Terry, I've been wanting to do a "THis Day in..." for the BoB. I was gonna start on 10 July - need to contribute something after the Europe thread is done! :)

Looking forward to that Chris! If you need any pics in addition to what you've probably got, let me know, as I've a fair few, in a multitude of books, covering BoB subjects from both sides.

I have a few myself.

Heres another pic that has RAF and Luftwaffe.

from "Hitler's Luftwaffe" by Tony Wood / Bill Gunston

Attachments

• bob03.jpg
    bob03.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 74
I like how it says "LUFTFLOTTE FIVE (from Norway and Sweden)".... Didn't know that we were occupied..! :oops: :lol:
Btw, I take it that those numbers are squadron numbers, right?

Hmm. Not a bad disposition map Chris, but it must be tied to a certain date, for, as Jan pointed out, the RAF Squadron numbers are included. As you know, the various Squadrons were not neccessarily based permanently at a particular airfileld, rotating during various periods of the Battle although some did have a home base for an extended period.
The map is also missing some key airfields but, to be fair, the authors might just have included those shown for clarity.
The fact that it shows LF5 operating from Sweden also brings into question its reliability!
If you think you can use them, I have some clear maps, both in colour, and black white line-drawing form, showing the correct dispositions, during various phases, and also some oblique 'aerial photo' style ones showing key engagements. The latter are particulary good, as they have various coloured 'tracks' of the flight paths of the Luftwaffe and RAF units involved, and the movement as each engagement progressed, showing the units, times etc.
Just shout when/if you want them mate!

Thanks Terry. I agree. I think its just a quick representation. Maybe I'll start that BoB thread and just call it "Day by Day". Maybe you can add stuff as well. Between the two of us, should get a decent overview.

So, these would be good to use for this GB then:

Ju 88A-1, 4 and 5. Would the -C version do as well?
He 111H-1, -5, -6 and -8?
Dornier Do 17Z.
Bf 109E-1, -3, -4, -7 and possible early F's.
Spitfire Mk I and II.
Hurricane MkI (Revised) and MkIIA.
Wellington Mk.III.
Bf 110C, D.

Just checking for those that I can find in 1/48....

JU88A1 and A5 yes, doubtful about the A4 though, not C.
Dornier 17Z yes, and 17P, also, I think 215.
Hurricane Mk1 yes, MkIIA I don't think made it in time, I'd have to check.
Also JU87B, Gladiator, Beaufghter 1, Blenheim Mk1 and MkIV(F).
Don't know of 1/48th scale kits for Defiant, and I wouldn't include the Bf109F.
Also, believe it or not, Tiger Moth, jury rigged for bombing beaches if Germans landed! (Available from SMER) Also, for ASR, Walrus, also from SMER, and Lysander, from ?? Dang! Forgotten who!!

Thank you frightfully old boy...! According to Wiki (I know) it was during the closing days of the Battle of Britain that the flagship Ju 88 A-4 went into service....maybe some more digging will confirm yes or no on this one.

Classic Airframes also have the Walrus in 1/48
Classic Airframes Boulton Paul Defiant TT Mk.I/TTMk.III 1/48
Special Hobby Blackburn Roc Mk.I. Similarly to the RAF
Roden Gloster Gladiator Mk I and II and Sea Gladiator Mk.I 1/48
Classic Airframes Avro Anson Mk.1. 1/48
Classic Airframes Dornier Do 17P/Z 1/48 (And Revell/Monogram I think.)
Classic Airframe Bristol Blenheim Mk.I/IF/IV/IVF/V 1/48
Tamiya Beaufighter, just need some conversion to Mk I 1/48
Classic Airframes Westland Whirlwind 1/48

The Tamiya nightfighter Beaufighter kit has the spinners, and it's dead easy to get the horizontal tailplane - horizontal.
I think Hobbycraft have reissued one of their Dornier 17's too.

Don't forget the Italians.

Corpo Aereo Italiano participated in the battle. Fiat CR.42, Fiat BR.20M, Fiat G.50bis, Cant Z.1007bis, Caproni Ca.133.

They got their asses kicked!

CR.42 in Belgium.
falco_33.jpg

JU88A1 and A5 yes, doubtful about the A4 though, not C.
Dornier 17Z yes, and 17P, also, I think 215.
Hurricane Mk1 yes, MkIIA I don't think made it in time, I'd have to check.
Also JU87B, Gladiator, Beaufghter 1, Blenheim Mk1 and MkIV(F).
Don't know of 1/48th scale kits for Defiant, and I wouldn't include the Bf109F.
Also, believe it or not, Tiger Moth, jury rigged for bombing beaches if Germans landed! (Available from SMER) Also, for ASR, Walrus, also from SMER, and Lysander, from ?? Dang! Forgotten who!!

Sound right!

"Hobby" made 1/48 Do-17z, but not produced in long time, but heard someone else (monogram) will start new production.

Do-215 was in service and did go to UK, but no 1/48 kit, but get a 1/48 kit Bf-110 for engines and so a little scratch work. :)
Maybe mod kits out there?

By BoB, the 17z's had 6 MG's installed, a few could have had 8.
And all the KG's (2, 3 76, 77) where involved.

HF!
S!

Oh, yes. the Ju-88A-4 came in at the trailing edge of the BoB. the A-1/A-5 is it. GJ on that bit.

Model Hobbies in the UK have the Hobbycraft Dornier Do17Z, 1/48th scale, in stock. Any JU88A4 can be easily converted to an A5 and, with a bit more work, to the A1 version. All we need now is for Revell/Monogram to re-issue the He111 in 1/48th scale, and Airfix to do the same with their Ju87B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back