Battle of Britain in 1:48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

YakFlyer

Airman 1st Class
Jan 15, 2007
Canterbury, NZ
Hi all,

This collection was started when I was 10years old, with the He111, apart from the weathered 109 and Stuka, the rest were built a great many years ago!
Just looking at these models brings back memories.
Tonnes of inaccuracies, colour errors, bad weathering and all the rest, feel free to have a good chuckle!

cheers
yakflyer
P1090239.jpg
P1090249.jpg
P1090250.jpg
P1090251.jpg
P1090252.jpg
P1090300.jpg

Not bad at all. I did a similar thing many years ago, but they were all lost in house moves over the years.
I've now finally collected all 20 kits, in 1/48th scale, to start again, but concentrating on one single period in the BoB, from August 18th (The 'Hardest Day') and the following ten days, and matching the RAF aircraft to the specific Luftwaffe aircraft or unit involved. Now that I've finally got the necessary display cabinets, I hope to make a start on the first of the builds early in the New Year - in between finishing a couple of commission builds.

Airframes, would love to see this collection of yours. Yes, Do 17, I do have one but it was built about the same time and really, really needs to be replaced! It is only a P model though, not the Z.
I have just made swastikas for the Stuka, it is all finished now! Will post a pic of it when I can.
Thanks for the comments, would love to do this collection again, but the progress over such a long time adds to the character I guess!
Concentrating on an He 126 and Vampire at the moment (the Vampire will add to my RNZAF series. Then I have that highly detailed Fw 189 to start but with some promising weather after the new year (for flying) this little burst of time spent at the desk will come to an end for a while.

Just looking at the two 109s, I have had to seperate them in my cabinet, they just don't look right together with the non-weathered one I built when I was 12, and the weathered one which I built last year.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

cheers
yakflyer

Very nice collection and I like the display table/map idea! Thanks for posting this. As much as I truly enjoy seeing the perfection that some of the old hands post here, it's refreshing to see some work that's not beyond my own capabilities.

YakFlyer, you are to be commended not only for having a great collection of BofB participants, but also for keeping it so well preserved over the years. Wish I had had that kind of foresight when I was 12!

What a fantastic collection! My first thought when I saw it was that it looks like a mini Hendon! I like your He111 very much!

Hey thanks for the comments all. I remember building that He111 like it was yesterday, it was in fact....18 years ago... I have tried to keep everything in tact. One big move (and then back to home town again), and it has all survived that so far!
That map is a tee-towel which my great grandfather gave to me (he did not serve in the war).

regards
Yakflyer

Fab collection - reminds me of my youth builds - must have had the same inaccuracy's etc but as someone said, did you enjoy it? If the answer's yes then it's been worth while. Makes any new builds all the more satisfying armed with new knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back