battle of midway gallery

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jrk

Airman 1st Class
Jul 26, 2005
staffordshire
here is my personal gallery of the american aircraft that took part in the battle of midway.

martin b-26 marauder
b26_ph.gif

b-17 flying fortress
BP01_Boeing_B-17_Flying_Fortress_Pr.gif

douglas tbd deverstator
coral-2.gif

grumman f4f4 wildcat
f4f4.gif

vought sikorsky sb2u vindicator
voughtsikorskysb2uvindicator.gif

douglas sbd-a-24 dauntless
sbdz.gif

grumman tbf avenger
tbdavenger.gif

consolidated pby catalina
WB103_Consolidated_PBY_Catalina_Pet.gif

and here are the carriers starting with the americans

uss enterprise
n29688.gif

uss hornet
h81313.gif

uss yorktown
77534.gif

and heres the japanese carriers

akagi
Akagi.gif

hiryu
hiryu_via_hosho_ac.gif

kaga
Kaga20in20rough20seas.gif

soryu
Soryu001.gif

sorry meant to put this in earlier.brewster f2a buffalo
f2a-3_brewster_buffalo__8-1942.gif

when i have more time i,ll get back here with the japanese planes.

Here's my father after the Battle of Midway, photo taken aboard Hornet where most of the VF-3 pilots ended up.

428e40a06a1dd.jpg

And a shot of him launching from Yorktown on the morning CAP 4 June 42. If you look close you can see the number 13 on the top of the wings.

irdkcleon_4.jpg

And not to be a spoiled sport, but your photo of Yorktown is the wrong one. Yours is CV-10, an Essex class carrier. The Yorktown at Midway was CV-5 and the class leader.

430526f105e0f.jpg

Regards,

Rich

Good pics guys. (sources all around please. ;) )
CV-10 Yorktown is currently docked in Charleston, SC as a memorial. She's in her updated configuration of course, as she was used right up until 1973.

Great topic jrk, here are some pics I've had on my computer for ages.

Attachments

• g41686_532.jpg
    g41686_532.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 908
  • g176150_161.jpg
    g176150_161.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 921
  • g312000_200.jpg
    g312000_200.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,141
  • buffalo_180.jpg
    buffalo_180.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,196
thanks for the compliments guys.my sources are ranged from usn to several private photographic collecters.
*slaps forehead really hard.*
yes wildcat sorry to forget about the brave guys in the buffaloes where all but 2 ended up on the scrap heap.and thanks to r.leonard for providing the original yorktown that took part in the battle.glad to see your dads got 4 markings on the side of his wildcat r.leonard

great great stuff(thumbs up)

heres my japanese collection which are long overdue.

aichi e13a jake floatplane.
3 were used in the midway campaign for reconnaisance duties.2 were launched from the cruiser chikuma and 1 from the cruiser tone.
aichiE13A.gif

mitsubishi f1m pete floatplane
1 used at midway for reconnaisance duties also launched from the cruiser tone
mitsubishif1mpetefloatplane.gif

kawanishi e7k1 dave floatplane
1 used at midway for reconnaisance missions launched from the battleship haruna.
kawanishie7k1davefloatplane.gif

yokosuka d4y1 judy
one was used over midway in a reconnaisance role and another was damaged on the way over and had to turn back.
yokosukad4y1judypic2.gif

nakajima a6m2-n rufe floatplane
this aircraft did not take any part in the battle.but it is added purely on the grounds of several of these planes were present at midway aboard the seaplane carriers.
NakajimaA6M2-Nrufe.gif

mitsubishi a6m2 reisen/zeke
mitsubishia6m2zeke.gif

nakajima b5n1 kate
nakajimab5n1kate.gif

aichi d3a1 val
5085_Aichi_D3A1_Val_replica_2004091.gif

and theres my battle of midway collection.:)

That was a very good collection. Midway has always been my favorite story to come out of WW2. Such crazy circumstances led to the sinking of the Japanese carriers.

I think Herman Wouk said it best in War and Remembrence:
"It was a perfect coordinated attack. It was timed almost to the second. It was a freak accident."

BTW, in case anyone is interested, that book has just about the best account of the Battle of Midway of any work of historical fiction I have come across. Much of it is from the point of view of one of Wouk's characters who he inserted into the cockpit of a Dauntless. Also good stuff from Leyte Gulf. The rest of the book is a bit hard to get through as I recall.

thanks once again guys*takes a bow*.when i put my mind to something i can dig up some really good stuff.

i have the factual book on the battle of midway by walter lord.

i hope everyone feels my research is acurate.and if it isnt someone give me a holler.:)

Great pictures jrk!

Only a small nota: correct name is Consolidated PBY Catalina not Liberator (that is Consolidated B-24).

Pisis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back