Battleship Texas taking on water

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
HOUSTON—Crews have been working 24-hour days to keep up with extraordinary amounts of water leaking on board Battleship Texas.

The historic ship, which just turned 100 years old in May, is only one of six remaining that served in both World War I and World War II.

The ship manager says crews noticed the unusual amount of water coming on board sometime on Saturday. Since then, workers have been at it day and night just trying to keep up. A number of pumps have been brought to the site as the water is being directed back out into the channel. Staffers with Texas Parks and Wildlife, volunteers, a separate contractor and a salvage diving company have teamed up to take on this task.

There's a big concern about oil getting into the channel. That's why there is a boom placed near the ship, essentially collecting any excess oil that might leak out.

Workers are also trying to scoop the oil out of the lower portions of the ship. It is then being filtered out through pumps.

The goal is to have this fixed by Wednesday and to make sure no other leaks pop up.

"We're dealing with a 100-year-old vessel…so you're dealing with something that wasn't designed to last this long. We think we can probably manage a patch, a repair on it, but this is always a concern that this could sprout up again in a different place," said Andy Smith, the Ship Manager of Battleship Texas.

The ship manager said the lower portions of the ship have been closed to the public. People have still been allowed on board the second deck and above.

"We got a lot of hoses working and pumps working, and we don't want to create a situation where someone might slip on some water," explained Smith.

Workers still have not been able to pinpoint exactly where the leak is located. They are still working day and night to deal with the water that is coming on board.

For years, there's been a plan in the works to dry dock the ship for a multi-million-dollar renovation. The ship manager said coming up with that amount of money has proved challenging, and they're in desperate need of donors to step in and help out.

Attachments

• battleship texas.jpg
    battleship texas.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 228
"... "We're dealing with a 100-year-old vessel…so you're dealing with something that wasn't designed to last this long. We think we can probably manage a patch, a repair on it, but this is always a concern that this could sprout up again in a different place," said Andy Smith, the Ship Manager of Battleship Texas."

Preservation has its limits -- in salt water. If Texas is that important, construct a Coffer Dam behind her, pump the interior dry, and then put a seabed foundation under her. A big job ... not a patch.

MM

Preservation has its limits -- in salt water. If Texas is that important, construct a Coffer Dam behind her, pump the interior dry, and then put a seabed foundation under her. A big job ... not a patch.

MM

I knew that they were very concerned about the condition of the hull, and were raising money. I sent a donation in several years ago. Perhaps I need to send a bit more in.......

I'm under the impression underwater corrosion is virtually eliminated with cathodic protection. The worst corrosion happens to metal parts exposed to the air.

It would be sad to see too much deterioration in this grand old lady; historically it is the last surviving big gun battleship of the Dreadnought era. Above water, that is...

No signs of the US Navy offering help ?
That's the mimimum they should do for a ship serving them for so long.

I would be incredibly surprised if the US Navy pitched in to help.

I hope they manage to fix the problem though. Something this historical like this isn't easily replaced!

The US Navy won't help, their budget has been reduced like the rest of the military. There was a time when those things could be done, but with single ship demos being cut from air shows and the small amount of shows flown this year, a project of this magnitude isn't going to happen with government help unfortunately. I hope they can save this historic ship.

*********UPDATE*********

Texas Parks and Wildlife hired a private marine salvage company to investigate the cause of the leaks. Divers went down and discovered a relatively small hole and repaired the vessel. On June 23, 2012, the Texas reopened for visitors, though decks below the 2nd level are still closed for continued cleanup.

GREAT news that this historic vessel received a little TLC (tender loving care).

I grew up down the street from her. Back in the late 80s, the ship was placed in a floating dry dock more major repairs. They wanted to dry dock her back then but ran out of money. Two holes were repaired yesterday. They are looking for a lager hole now. There is talk building a dam and pumping out the water. The state was talking about sending some money to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back