Beaufighter Anti-Shipping Strike

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wildcat

Major
Apr 11, 2005
South East Queensland
I've just come across these awesome photo's showing 455 Squadron RAAF on anti-shipping strike's against German ships somewhere near Norway (I think). Check em out!

Attachments

• beaufighterattack_956.jpg
    beaufighterattack_956.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 742
  • beaufightercrash_100.jpg
    beaufightercrash_100.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 740
  • beaufighterattack2_106.jpg
    beaufighterattack2_106.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,223
  • beaufighterattack3_206.jpg
    beaufighterattack3_206.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 745
  • beaufighterattack4_171.jpg
    beaufighterattack4_171.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 731
  • beaufighterattack5_104.jpg
    beaufighterattack5_104.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 744
Those are some wild pics wildcat they put the wind up me just looking at them those little coastal vessels must have looked like sieves after that lot

Man those beau's sure have a punch to 'em. Sort of like the later model B-25's (except the J) that had the glass noses replaced with oodles of guns- I can only imagine what it feels like to be on either end of such firepower.

Almost right re your photo credits - the second one down was taken by a 489 NZ Squadron navigator - Paul Gifford - He is still alive and well in UK. For more info, you my wish to look at a couple of logbooks and more photos on BURROWES.ORG

I have a book around here somewhere with tactics etc used during those wing strikes, I will dig it out and throw some info up later.

Nice pics Wildcat. There is a book out there I read a few years ago about 455 Squadron, A very interesting read.

Are there any other books on RAAF Beau's? I have 'Whispering Death'. I was planning on doing a painting of a 30Sqd (I think) attack on Rufes at Taberfane, and I'm looking for some location aerials...

Cheers,

Steve

Just shows what a Beau can do!
8x .303 Brownings, 4x20mm Hispanos and either 8 RPs or a torpedo

Just a minor correction ('cos people do use sites like this as a reference authority): the Beau was kitted out with 6 x .303s (2 port, 4 starboard wing) although Australian Mk 21s had 4 x .50s in the wings (now that really would make your eyes water!). However, I understand that most Coastal Command Beaus had long-range tanks fitted in the gun bays (24 gals port, 50 gals starboard) and this was the 'default' when 8 Rocket Projectiles were carried; it was probably felt that anything more that 4 x 20mm Hispanos and 8 RPs just wouldn't be cricket!

Not trying to 'scores points' Mosquitoman, just trying to stop people going away with the wrongs facts; please understand.:occasion5:

Are there any other books on RAAF Beau's? I have 'Whispering Death'. I was planning on doing a painting of a 30Sqd (I think) attack on Rufes at Taberfane, and I'm looking for some location aerials...

Cheers,

Steve

Steve's theres a book called "Coomalie Charlie's Commandos" about 31 sqn which was the unit involved in the strikes on the float plane base at Taberfane. Might be worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back