Beaufighters of the RAAF

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Bradr,
You'll find several references to both A19-30 and A19-113 in a book written by the late Group Capt. George Dick [RET.], "Beaufighters Over The New Guinea":
ie.
Regarding A19-30
Chapter 4
Christmas Day was not entirely work-free. Eric Lansell and Harry Suthons (A19-30) led Jack Sandford and Arthur Jaggs (A19-32), as well as Ron Downing and Danny Box (A19-53), in a strike against targets on the Kumusi River. The remainder of the Squadron turned out for a church parade at 7.30am, dressed in boots, khaki shorts, shirts and stockings, and steel helmet, and with webbing belt, gas mask, rifle and side arm. The Commanding Officer read the lesson, after which Padre Kirby preached a thankfully short sermon. The officers and senior non-commissioned officers gathered in the Airmens' Mess to serve them lunch - roast pork, roast turkey, apple sauce, diced potatoes and green peas, followed by tinned fruit salad and cream, and fruit cake. "Wonder of wonders," said Colin Horne, "there on the table were enough bottles of beer to let us have one mug each, being provided by the aircrew in appreciation of our efforts."
Chapter 5
Eric Lansell and Harry Suthons in A19-30 led 10 other Beaufighters to attack barges near Lae on 8th January, but the aircraft had to wait until the Mitchells, Bostons, and Marauders had dropped all their bombs. In the meantime, a Beaufighter element went to Lae aerodrome and destroyed one of the two Zekes parked on the east side of the runway. Another six Zekes tried to intercept the Beaufighters but were driven off by the the Lighting top cover, which shot down two of the enemy fighters. At the debriefing back at base, the crews told Stan Hutchinson that they had seen three transport vessels, three destroyers, and one cruiser.

Because of unserviceabilty, two of the aircraft scheduled to attack Goodenough targets on 30th October didn't take off (A19-3, Cec McKew and Ted Lasscock, A19-30, Eric Lansell and Harry Suthons). Those that undertook that strafing mission were:

• Brian Walker and John Mason (A19-4)
• Peter Parker and Harold O'Connor (A19-28)
• Ron Uren and John Maguire (A19-33)
• Dick Roe and Bill Clarke (A19-55)
• Col Campbell and Cliff Witheford (A19-10)

There are also dozens and dozen of references in 30Sqn's War Diaries.

I thought you might appreciate this information.

PS. I might even have some photos of both aircraft. I'll let you know if I do.

Cheers

Came across this by accident. Reg Ellis was my father. He survived the war. I have his logbook. He completed the beaufighter conversion course 12/5/43.
Ellis kids0007.jpg
. Here we are together!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi David, all.

I found a couple of photos of A19-113 in a book titled ""Restore to Service" by Walter Venn. This is the accident that occurred prior to the Gorrie incident.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• A19-113 2 resized.jpeg
    A19-113 2 resized.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 72
  • A19-113 resized.jpeg
    A19-113 resized.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 56

Users who are viewing this thread

Back