Best Aircraft in Many Different Roles Part II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Surely all are debatable, this is why it is a discusion. :lol:

I wouldn't have even considered radar as an issue. The technology was in its infancy and unreliable.

baisically you can forget the idea of a stealth aircraft, a large formation of either would get picked up by RaDAR, particularly the all metal -38, when it comes down to the airborn radars carried the mossie wins hands down however not just for the range carried but the roles and ways in which they were used..........

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Well in my opinion it goes something like this:

1. Ju-88
2. P-38
3. Mossie

Everything after that is debatable.

The Ju-88 obviously was not the best aircraft in any given role but she successfully did the most roles and was the most versatile aircraft.

A reasonable list. I certainly feel that the Ju-88 was more important to the Germans than the other two were to the allies, mainly due to what syscom said about specialized aircraft.

the lancaster kicks *** said:
baisically you can forget the idea of a stealth aircraft, a large formation of either would get picked up by RaDAR, particularly the all metal -38, when it comes down to the airborn radars carried the mossie wins hands down however not just for the range carried but the roles and ways in which they were used..........

The problem is this, half the things that you consider roles for the Mossie were not roles. For instance you saying that attaching a turret to the top of an aircraft is a different role. That is not a different role. That is a varient with better defensive armament.

The problem is this, half the things that you consider roles for the Mossie were not roles. For instance you saying that attaching a turret to the top of an aircraft is a different role. That is not a different role. That is a varient with better defensive armament.

it's a turret fighter ;)

no i know i was being picky i was just trying to show that the mossie could be adapted in a greater number of ways to the P-38.........

I will say in no order:

FW 190

Ju 88

Mossie

Thats just off the top of my head. There is other pics also I just need to think about them.

While the Fw-190 was a versatile aircraft I dont see how it can rank up on the top when there were other great aircraft that could do many more roles than the Fw-190.

True true like I said it was just off the top of my head, but good point there Chris.

Been a while Chris nice to talk to you again.

Yes I agree with you on that. Among single engine aircraft she is one of the top. That might be a good thread to start up when I get home. Best Versatile Single Engine Aircaft.

Would be intersting. There are so many that could be number one such as the P-47, Fw-190, Corsair and maybe the Typhoon or Tempest.

let's discuss it here we wont be interupting any furious debate at the moment....

so, which single engine aircraft do you guys see as being the most versatile? which was sucessful in as many roles as possible? the current runners seem to be the -190, -47, F4U, Tiffy and i'd say hurricane, they don't have to be fighters however............

That is a tuff one so many to choose ;) from have to be the 47 yet i am thinking in ground support roles and fight vs fighter and anit bomber , vet i am not sure about the anit shipping or recon , so the F4U might be a choice , the the Tiffy's Hurricanes did not have as good of stuff above 30,000 and the 190 lacked the tuffness of the F4U or the 47

he makes a good point about the tiffy and hurricane above 30,000 ft though, that being said the hurricane in particular did prove herself in a huge number of roles............

The Tiffy and the Hurricane should deffinatly be up for consideration, however I think the Fw-190 or the P-47 will probably take it.

Not sure on this but could the P-47 or the Corsair carry Torpedos? If neither one could then I might have actually give my vote to the Fw-190. The Fw-190 could do what they could plus it could carry torpedos.

but could any of them take two 40mm cannon? well yeah proberly but i don't think they did so it's just speculation which is annother feather in the cap of the hurricane, along with her ability to be adapted into a two seat trainer, have over 20 production varients, be launced by catapult from a ship, carry Skis for arctic operations (ok canadian operations) and even be fitted with a second wing!

Yet one must try and think hmm on the field is 109 ,190 ,corsair , Hurricane, tempest p40 warhawk typoon,p 51 and thunderbolt the mission is to fly top cover , then come down and search and destroy
what one bird could do that and have the best chance to make it back and to compltete the job HMMMM:?: :?: :?: :|

The Typhoon wasn't capable of multiple roles. It was fighter-bomber, able to carry rockets and bombs. That's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back