Best Aircraft in Many Different Roles Part II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

very interesting opinions here:)
if the question been most versatile ac with most success in any roles, i stick to the majority of you with Mosquito/Ju88 as twin-engined, B-24 for four-engined,and single..erm..it aint easy..Hurricane,Fw190,P-47 imo

in that case it's only right i do my duty and educate him- the lancaster was the most versatile heavy bomber of WWII :D

hihi:)
sure im newbie and sure my knowledge is far of yours.i just told my opinion.
the Lanc been very nice,but if that versatile as the liberator,im not sure.

for sure the Lanc wasnt the best interceptor ,do we agree? :D *gg* ok,joke.yes i am here to learn a lot

u got a point,been a nice bomber.for sure the best british 4engined,many historical moments like dam-busting,Tall Boys @ Tirpitz etc. etc.
but if i think of the Lanc i think of night-bombardments,i dont think at first of coastal patrols or transport,i dont think of anti-sub/ship actions,mine laying or daylight-bombing,sorry

don't worry we're all here to learn it's not a problem, and i don't want to spark this debate again (the last time it went on for weeks) so i'll just educate you as to some of the roles the lancaster did perform

she did bomb by day a lot more than people think, to the tune of over 40,000 daylight missions, she did a LOT of minelaying to the tune of over 27,000 mines (that's from memory so don't quote me) she was used as not only a military transport and a civilian airliner and post war she was developed into a number of coastal patrol/anti-shipping variants........

i didnt know the ammount.impressive.
maybe its role and reputation been a bit underestimated later.thats y its nice if guys like you open the eyes :) it must have a reason if u love this AC that much.
i only mentioned..that IF sum1 sais: patrolling ..i think of the Cat. if daybombing i think more of a Fortress or Liberator,transport -Dakota.
its a matter of fact. the lib dropped 625 000 tons! of bombs 4 example if i remember correctly.thats why i told this opinion of mine. it wasnt an offense on the Lanc,and i dont want to 'discuss' either, i still doubt that we would 'spark the debate again' for weeks,since i admire the senior members and listen to them,appreciating their teaching and advises.

no no, you proved that to others, i didn't believe any of that witchcraft for one second, if you ask me the Lanc's more versatile, but there's no point in arguing that because we both know i'll never give in ;)

The Lancaster bomber??? Isn't that like ... a wannabe Halifax?? :twisted: :D

To me the most versatile and THUS the best aircraft of WW2 is the Mosquito. It excelled in every role (leaving out the day fighter) from 1941 to post-war. Plus, it was reliable, beautiful, cheap in resources and easy to fly. It was held in high regard by every Luftwaffe pilot who had tried to intercept it.

Kris

she did perform some day fighter duties, not only in her fighter-bomber forms but the Mk.II was originally known as the F.II before some being converted to NF.II, so there were a few dedicated day fighters early on...........

You misunderstood me. I didn't say that it didn't fight as a day fighter but that it didn't EXCELL in that role.

Not saying it was bad. IMO its main enemy was the RAF itself who did not believe in two engined fighters until the American Lightnings showed that they could be at least as good as single engined fighters.

Kris

yes i know she found different roles but nowhere near as diverse as the roles carried out by the mossie and -88, from night fighters to strateigic bombers, transports to anti-shipping, those two really did do everything.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back