Best Aircraft in Many Different Roles Part II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm not sure exactly how far it was. But I think it demonstrates just how incredibly versatile the P-38 was.

Nice to see that some recognized the B--24. Most couldn't see past the B-17. Those guys called us the box the B-17 came in. But we were faster, flew farther, and hauled more. Also there were over 18,000 24s and only 12,000 17s. A well known air writer who had flown something like 175 planes named the 24 as one of the worst planes he ever flew. We didn't know that at the time though. B-29 sure was something after we got back stateside.

My favorite fighter was the Jug - P47, the first one to be able to go all the way with us. Although the pretty prize would go to the P38.

The nastiest one to look at from in front was the Bf109.

B-24 Driver said:
Nice to see that some recognized the B--24. Most couldn't see past the B-17. Those guys called us the box the B-17 came in. But we were faster, flew farther, and hauled more. Also there were over 18,000 24s and only 12,000 17s. A well known air writer who had flown something like 175 planes named the 24 as one of the worst planes he ever flew. We didn't know that at the time though. B-29 sure was something after we got back stateside.

My favorite fighter was the Jug - P47, the first one to be able to go all the way with us. Although the pretty prize would go to the P38.

The nastiest one to look at from in front was the Bf109.

Did you fly the -24 in WW2?

B-24 Driver said:
Yes... 448th BGVH, 8th AAF, out of Seething, England.
See you are from Colorado - Was in and out of both fields at Denver. A fun liberty town.

Very cool! Welcome! :salute: Many members here will want to hear more about you...

My wife's grandfather flew the -24 in the Pacific, 819th BS, 30th BG 7th AF. His plane is on line:

http://www.b24bestweb.com/outofthisworld.htm

Again welcome, I know I could speak on behalf of much of the membership here, we're honored!

B-24 Driver said:
Yes... 448th BGVH, 8th AAF, out of Seething, England.
See you are from Colorado - Was in and out of both fields at Denver. A fun liberty town.

Welcome to the site. It is always great to hear from vets from WW2. You give us an insight that we do not get from books or films.

Thankyou also for the sacrifices that you made along with your comrads.

I'm going to throw this one out there and see if you all agree with me or disagree. I think the Me-110 was a good aircraft for many different roles. In areas were there was few front line fighters or old outdated fighters, it performed very well as a fighter. Like in Poland, Norway and the low countries. It was a very good platform for a night fighter since it had twin engines and could carry the very heavy radar systems at the time. Also, it was an outstanding ground attack aircraft. I think it proved that in Russia and North Africa. If you can think of anything else that it did please add.

like you said though it only worked as fighter if the opposition sucked :lol: and i don't think that in terms of versatility it matched the mossie, oh yea, the P-38 too :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard, B-24 driver! Good to hear from another WWII vet. One of the gents that is a docent in the museum where I volunteer was an instructor pilot at Maxwell AFB during the war.

book1182 said:
I'm going to throw this one out there and see if you all agree with me or disagree. I think the Me-110 was a good aircraft for many different roles. In areas were there was few front line fighters or old outdated fighters, it performed very well as a fighter. Like in Poland, Norway and the low countries. It was a very good platform for a night fighter since it had twin engines and could carry the very heavy radar systems at the time. Also, it was an outstanding ground attack aircraft. I think it proved that in Russia and North Africa. If you can think of anything else that it did please add.

I believe it was a decent multi role aircraft. It was not a very good day fighter though. It was okay as an intercepter in the beginning of the war and I think it was a pretty good night fighter.

Humm… The best aircraft of many different rolls we choose mostly fighters.

My vote:

Identified as Model 28 by Consolidated it's producer; its soul innovation (at least to military aircraft that I know of) was the retraction of its stabilizing floats to the wing tip, which greatly aided the aerodynamic efficiency of its quite nearly cantilever parasol wing mount. She was the most extensively built flying boat/amphibian in history.

1st flown March of 1935, the US Navy ordered 60 by the end of June. She was a 'fully tweaked' flying boat in time for her second production order placed July 1936. By November 1939 she had developed into an amphibian, an unbeatable multi-roll aircraft, especially for the time. She was named, as many American aircraft by the Brits who ordered 50. The RAF accepting deliveries of these babies (in flying boat form) beginning in early 1941 entering service with Nos 209 240 of the Costal Command.

She served almost everywhere from America to New Zealand. She was a transport, rescue, sub hunting, night intruder, patrol bomber. She was applied, I believe uniquely, at night in the Pacific. Painted black, she attacked Japanese shipping, costal targets, at times getting near the target by day; to come out of hiding at night, approaching thier target by floating up in near silence.

She was the PBY Catalina.

By the way welcome B-24 Driver. I can't say I'm in love with the look of the B-24, except as the single tailed 'Privateer', maybe because most feel that way in comparison to the '17, she her cerws were 'stripped' of thier duley owed acclaim. I also would like to express gratitude for your srevice. :signthanks:

Attachments

• rfer5a01_248.jpg
    rfer5a01_248.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 406
All aircraft you mention. the mossie, -38 or -88, could have only been called to do the job of a fighter, which the Cat could not do.

It is the Cat that could do lots they couldn't.
-Fly in bad weather
-Land on water
-Transport Cargo
-Rescue Ops
-Go out on patrol for days at a time...

Attachments

• jjgs_time_to_fly_p-47_002__894.jpg
    jjgs_time_to_fly_p-47_002__894.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 367
Most of those things you listed are not roles, they're abilities. I do not recall the Catalina bombing many inland targets in comparison to the Mosquito, in fact could a Catalina make it to Berlin and back on it's own?

All those various roles of the Mosquito were not fighter roles, in fact only a few were. And why discount the roles that a fighter does as roles? The Mosquito could do all fighter roles, and all bomber roles plus many other roles to add to it.

- Interceptor
- Night Fighter
- Naval Bomber
- ASW
- Tactical Bomber
- CAS
- Fast Transport

Just to name a few for the Mosquito.

And for the Catalina;

- Naval Bomber
- Transport
- ASW
- SAR

And erh!?

Im with pD and Lanc on this. Yes the Catalina was a great plane and in my opinion the best seaplane built. She was also very vesatile however planes such as the Mossie, P-38 and Ju-88 in my opinion were more versatile in there roles.

I agree...

And although it never materialised, P-38's were going to be equipped with floats to increase range over the Pacific, and also so it could land on water. Then it would be able to do more Naval roles. But the Catalina could do that anyway so they didnt bother.

Agreed, although the Catalina was versitile the other (Mossie, P-38 and JU-88) where all more versitile and operated effectively in all of the roles assigned to them. As a result although being very versitile the Catalina is not versitile enough to be up with the top 3 of the Mossie, P-38 and the JU-88.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back