Best Aircraft in many different roles

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Your list does not tell me anything. Again what does a turret have to do with versatility and your radar thing still goes without saying anything, they both could carry radar. P-38 = fighter, night fighter, anti-shipping, photo recon, ground attack, bombing and much more. Mossie = fighter, night fighter, anti-shipping, photo recon, ground attack, bombing and much more. The P-38 could do everything the mossie could. The mossie was a better bomber/ground attack but the P-38 was a better fighter.

And G/C) Lionel Mandrake I am still waiting on a response from you about telling me to butt out and what my business is. Please do so.

Oh okay, well that still does not say anything. The P-38 was designed as a fighter but was used in any role you can imagine so that it makes it just as versatile. For example the P-38 was never designed to carry torpedos and sink ships but they modded it and put 2 torpedos on it and it did it just fine. The mossie they had to make different versions to do the same things. Again dont take me wrong I really like the mossie and I think it was an excellent plane but the Lightning could do the same things. And as was said by Plan D this argument can go on and on.

And I am still waiting G/C) Lionel Mandrake.

Your not the only one fighting battles you know...It seems if i'm going to discuss anything with you old boy, i will need to paste a few of these...

And if you still don't get it.. Remember i'm a Englander! We exported many things around the world except it seems , humor.

Im still with the Lightning, and not because of my stubborn nature. I do think that the P-38 was more versatile. Everything I have read about the P-38 tells me that its more versatile. I have read Mosquito accounts and while it was a great aircraft, ultimately it isnt as versatile. And yes lanc, I have read your list.

Also, where did your speed claim on the Whirlwind come from? 320mph and you're much closer the mark. 472mph...?

I am not fighting any battle with you. I just want you to explain yourself. What is my "army business" and what is your business so I may butt out of it. If you were making an attempt at humor then I do not mind and please forgive me for misunderstanding you. You Brits do have a dry sense of humor but if it was not humor you were after I would like for you to explain.

I am of course, going with the Lightning. The Ju-88 was certainly very versatile and we could add it to the mix but we would simply end up with the same endless argument. The P-38 was clearly the most versatile of all America had to offer. The Mossie was the best of the British planes and the Ju-88 was the best of the Luftwaffe. Trying to determine a definitive answe to this question is probably impossible.

Well, I don't know as much about the Pe-2 but I don't feel it really belongs to the same class as the others mentioned. Still, it was perhaps the most versatile the Russians had.

Dear DerAdlerIstGelandet,

I now understand why you were upset with me. I didn't at the time, but i do now..
I was teasing with you..And since English isn't your mother tongue and i'm a sporting Englishman, i did offer you a olive branch of peace, see here.

Iraq eh? My respect's to you, and stay safe chum.

You kindly returned the jesture by saying this

please forgive me for misunderstanding you
So lets drop it..Btw, i now need to make a peace offering to Plan-B....

Hard to make peace when you can get the man's name right.

The Pe-2 was versatile but I just don't feel it belongs with the others. For one thing, it lacked the performance of the other aircraft in this discussion.

Lightning Guy said:
Hard to make peace when you can get the man's name right.

The Pe-2 was versatile but I just don't feel it belongs with the others. For one thing, it lacked the performance of the other aircraft in this discussion.
Oh please.....Have i gotta explain the punch line before i tell it.....boom,boom.

Users who are viewing this thread