best allied tank?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I meant the tank was too narrow to take a larger turret ring thus a larger turret. So, in the end, the Churchill was too narrow to take the 17pdr.

I'll accept, I am an awkward bugger! :twisted:

Wrong, the KV-2s solution would not apply to the 17pdr being installed. The KV-2s 152mm cannon was a slow velocity weapon and did not require a long breech, nor did it require space for the recoil and loading sections. The Challenger's superstructure had to be widened to take the 17pdr.

The turret could have been narrower at the bottom, like the T34.

You're calling the M36B1 pointless on the basis that it's top is open.

It was just vulnerable full stop, thinner armour than a Sherman and just as big a target albeit with good manouverability, but not completely pointless. Though obviously the crew were 'expendable'. :evil:

mosquitoman said:
Well, the infantry are called paratroops if you didn't know

I was waiting for someone to say that. :lol: Was expecting PD to. :cry:

The M36B1 shared the same chassis and super-structure as the M4A3. Same armour protection.

Ive always wondered why the Brits used a weight measure to identify the size of the guns and not a diameter like everyone else.

Can you tell me what the bore size is for a 17 pounder?

I think you will find that it was 76mm, as was the 77mm in the Comet. The reason was a wonderfully simple awnser to a potential dangerous problem.
As you say traditionally we used the weight of the shell as the marker but it did have one benefit. The allies had three guns with the same calibre the US 76, the 17pd and the gun in the Comet which was 76mm. Had we called them all 76mm, there could have been significant problems with ammunition as they couldn't fire the same shells. By calling the Comet 77 and marking the ammo up confusion was averted.

Not for the UK. Remember we had the 2pd, 6pd, 17pd, 25pd, plus in the first world war the 6pd, 13pd and 18pd. Even after WWII we had the 20pd.
Let the rest of the world go for mm we stuck to weights for as long as we could.

I think the 105mm pack Howitzer was its replacement in the 70s GN

Attachments

• l118-001_248.jpg
    l118-001_248.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 286
Centurion Mk. I

Though it didnt see combat during WW2 it was designed during and saw post-war service in Europe,

It proved an excellent Tank during
Korean War - United Kingdom
Suez Crisis- (United Kingdom)
Six Day War - (Israel)
Yom Kippur War - (Israel)
Vietnam War - (Australia)
Angola Bush War - (South Africa)
Gulf War - UK as Centurion AVRE's

Or the Cromwell wich was specifaclly designed to counter the threat posed by the newer Panzer Series

I think the best allied tank was the M26 Pershing. Why? Because America finally had a tank that could take on the Panther or a Tiger. The M26 was still used in the Korean War to take on the T-34.

About the Sherman, it was an ok tank. I think the best models used with the M4 were the M-7 and Firefly that had what i think was the 85mm gun that could penetrate German tank Armour.

It was a 17pounder (76.2mm) on the Firefly P38 but as you say it had the hitting power that the earlier (and most widely used) Sherman 75mm lacked terribly.

The M7 was a Priest SPG based on the Sherman chassis, it wasn't a kind of Sherman. The most powerful American Sherman was the M4A3E8 'Easy Eight' with 76mm cannon, wet stowage and HVSS (Horizontal Volute Suspension).

The Cromwell was designed as an improvement on the Cruiser types that the British used. It wasn't much of an improvement either until they put the 75mm in it. The A34 Comet was an improvement over that which carried the OQF 77mm (adaptation of the OQF 17pdr) which wasn't that much weaker than the 17pdr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back