Best Bomber of WW2 -- #3

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
the lancaster kicks ass said:
ah, well i can't speak for the canadian lanc but the RAF operated lanc i believe they installed the second set of controlls volentarily due to the immense value of the aircraft

And the insurance company may require it as well...

I worked for a guy who owned a PBY - it was required by regulation as well as his insurance that he had 2 guys flying the aircraft.

I flew a T-34 in an airshow at the base I used to drill at when I was in the naval reserve. My maintenance chief allowed that to count as a drill weekend. I wore an enlisted flight suit with my name tage indicating my rank (Petty Officer 2nd Class). 3/4 of the officers couldn't believe that an enlisted puke could fly! They were pissed cause I got to go into the VIP area - I told them "Sir if more NCOs were pilots, it would give you more time to do your - paperwork - correctly." :evil4: Sir!

No crews in RAF bomber Command were enlisted, they were all volenteers.........

and this run through of the RAF ranks was very popular in Bomber command during the war

Air Marshal-
can leap tall buildings with a single bound
more powerful than a steam train
faster than a speading bullet
walks on water
Gives policy to God

Air Commadore-
can leap tall buildings with a running start
more powerful than a diesel engine
as fast as a speeding bullet
walks on water if dea is calm
discusses policy with God

Group Captain-
leaps short buildings with a single bound
more powerful than a tank engine
can occassionally keep up with a speeding bullet
walks on water in small lakes
talks with God

Wing Commander-
leaps short buildings with a running start
is almost as powerul as a tank engine
is able to avoid a speeding bullet
walks on water in indoor swimming pools
talks to God if special request it granted

Squadron Leader-
can just clear a small hut
looses tug of war with tank engine
can deflect a speeding bullet
swims well
is occassionally addressed by God

Flight Lieutenant-
demolishes chimney when leaping small huts
is run over by steam trains
can handle a gun
dog paddles adequately
talks to animals

Flying Officer-
runs into buildings
reconises steam trains two times out of three
is not issued with guns
can stay afloat with a Mae West
talks to walls

Pilot Officer-
falls over doorsteps
says "i see no trains"
trusted only with water pistols
stays on dry land
mumbles to himself

Warrant Officer-
lifts tall buildings and walks under them
kicks steam trains off tracks
catches bullets with his teeth
freezes water with a single glance
because he IS God

Good list, lanc. I've seen that before. :lol:

wmaxt said:
A lot of enlisted flew in combat in WWII for both the USN and the RAF. They did as well as any of the officers.

wmaxt
RCAF too. ;)
In my grandfather's case though, he began his pilot training as an NCO but was commissioned as a Pilot Officer part way through it. There were however, like you say, many NCO pilots.

FLYBOYJ said:
I flew a T-34 in an airshow at the base I used to drill at when I was in the naval reserve. My maintenance chief allowed that to count as a drill weekend. I wore an enlisted flight suit with my name tage indicating my rank (Petty Officer 2nd Class). 3/4 of the officers couldn't believe that an enlisted puke could fly! They were pissed cause I got to go into the VIP area - I told them "Sir if more NCOs were pilots, it would give you more time to do your - paperwork - correctly." :evil4: Sir!

That is correct for damn sure! :D

so are the bulk of us agreed on

1) B-29
2) Lanc

:?:

so then, 3rd?

B-17 - The documented evidence of how much battle damage it could absorb is renowned. Even die-hard B-24 drivers will admit the B-17 was a better flier. The B-24 did offer some advantages, but it was the B-17 that took the fight of the USAAF to Germany with the B-24 just a RCH behind....

3) B-17
4) B-24

FLYBOYJ said:
so are the bulk of us agreed on

1) B-29
2) Lanc

:?:

so then, 3rd?

B-17 - The documented evidence of how much battle damage it could absorb is renowned. Even die-hard B-24 drivers will admit the B-17 was a better flier. The B-24 did offer some advantages, but it was the B-17 that took the fight of the USAAF to Germany with the B-24 just a RCH behind....

3) B-17
4) B-24

i'd proberly go along with that, which leaves the halibag 5th?

and pb, you're proberly right however the manchester and lancaster archive says

Each crew member volunteered for aircrew duties. None were conscripted into their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back