Best Dogfighter Poll Revisited...

Best Dogfighter Between 15,000 - 35,000 feet......

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Actually no, the Zero did better at lower altitudes. I pulled a bonehead and clicked the P-38, not meaning to. I was distracted when I clicked. I meant to click on the F6F. So I guess I left a hanging chad!

It was not an easy choice though. Is that an FW109, or 190? Sorry, I am not terribly familiar with some of the German designations, so I had not heard "Wurger" before. the vote was a toss up for me, F6F, FW-190 (assumed a 190, not 109), Spit or Corsair. They were all awesome. While I just talked up the Zero, it would not have been my top because of the lack of survivability. No armor plating and non self-sealing fuel tanks make it a flying deathtrap in my book.

I am wondering how in the world some of these aircraft made it into this list? The P-47 was not a very good dogfigther. Nor was the Me-262. And where is the N1K2-J, beloved my so many on this site?

Actually the P-47 was surprising to many because for it's size, it was quite manueverable. While they were testing the P-47C, the army discovered that it had the best aileron roll rate of any US fighter. Considering it was about twice the size of it's contemporaries, I'd say it faired very well. Not my top choice for a dogfighter, but still got the job done when it was needed. But I will say that it was a better ground attack airplane.

Excuse me, evan. How were the British losing Spitfires to the Zero? Spitfires didn't reach the CBI until 1943.

redcoat, have you got a sense of humour? And if it's in combat, you can pull up, dive and flip to get advantages over your enemy not just turn. Have you got Il-2 FB? I want a dogfight. :lol:

I will have to find the source, I read it in one of my books that the Zeroes were taking down the early marks of the Spitfire. It was more a question of tactics at that time. But my source material could have been wrong. Either way, the zero was a mean machine early in the war.

Wow this topic REALLY exploded overnight...good discussions going on...

Dont think I can fight this weekend lanc, my PZL needs to be repaired by the ground crew as I crashed it trying to fly upside down under a bridge...

(it means im busy tomorrow and working on my car :lol: )

The 190 rolled better than any fighter of the war. In turn rate, it wasn't that special.

As far as the P-47 is concerned, it only rolled well with the engine torque. It's turn rate was rather poor and its climb was ridiculous. I'm not saying it wasn't an effective fighter, but it was not a true dogfighter.

I think that's peronal bias.

I mean, the P-38 was my all time favorite aircraft. I think it was one of the best fighters of the war and properly flown a very good dogfighter, but I'm not trying to argue it was the BEST dogfighter of the war.

umm...that the Hurricane scored more kills than Spits in the Battle of Britain is first because it had more Hurricane sq.s, and second its because in the real world (not in games) the Spit is harder to fly than the Hurricane and almost all fighter pliots agreed that the Hurricane was really a easy plane 2 fly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back