best engine of the war

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No fighter had the R-2600 in the early days of the U.S. at war.
The three I mentioned upthread gave the US time to develop the R-2600 into the F6F, F4U and P-47.
:thumbleft:
still perfer the pratt

For the sheer numbers of engines produced, as well as the variety of aircraft types they were fitted to, nothing can beat either the Wright Cyclone or Pratt & Whitney Wasp series of powerplants.

To top it all, both engine types would still remain hugely relevant after the war with many new civilian and military types fitted with it.

You might still find both engine families still powering operational aircraft today?
[h3][/h3]

Hi VA5124.

The engine used in the F6F Hellcat, the F4U Corsair, the P-47 Thunderbolt, the F7F Tigercat, the F8F Bearcat, and a host of other airplanes (about 35 in total) fielded by the U.S.A, was the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 double Wasp.

It started out in 1937 at 1,500 hp for the "A" series, went to 2,000 hp for the "B" series, to 2,100 - 2,800 hp for the "C" series, 2,200 hp for the "D" series, and wound up at 2,450 hp in the "E" series.

Last edited:
Hi VA5124.

The engine used in the F6F Hellcat, the F4U Corsair, the P-47 Thunderbolt, the F7F Tigercat, the F8F Bearcat, and a host of other airplanes (about 35 in total) fielded by the U.S.A, was the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 double Wasp.

It started out in 1937 at 1,500 hp for the "A" series, went to 2,000 hp for the "B" series, to 2,100 - 2,800 hp for the "C" series, 2,200 hp for the "D" series, and would up at 2,450 hp in the "E" series.
thank i didnt remeber the number but that one what is what i think was the best

Rolls Royce Merlin used in

Armstrong Whitworth Whitley

Avro Athena

Avro Lancaster

Avro Lancastrian

Avro Lincoln

Avro Manchester III

Avro Tudor

Avro York

Boulton Paul Balliol and Sea Balliol

Boulton Paul Defiant

Bristol Beaufighter II

CAC CA-18 Mark 23 Mustang

Canadair North Star

CASA 2.111B and D

Cierva Air Horse

de Havilland Mosquito

de Havilland Hornet

Fairey Barracuda

Fairey Battle

Fairey Fulmar

Fairey P.4/34

Fiat G.59

Handley Page Halifax

Handley Page Halton

Hawker Hart (Test bed)

Hawker Henley

Hawker Horsley (Test bed)

Hawker Hotspur

Hawker Hurricane and Sea Hurricane

Hispano Aviación HA-1112

I.Ae. 30 Ñancú

Miles M.20

North American Mustang Mk X

Renard R.38

Short Sturgeon

Supermarine Type 322

Supermarine Seafire

Supermarine Spitfire

Tsunami Racer

Vickers F.7/41

Vickers Wellington Mk II and Mk VI

Vickers Windsor

Westland Welkin

Rolls Royce Merlin used in

Armstrong Whitworth Whitley

Avro Athena

Avro Lancaster

Avro Lancastrian

Avro Lincoln

Avro Manchester III

Avro Tudor

Avro York

Boulton Paul Balliol and Sea Balliol

Boulton Paul Defiant

Bristol Beaufighter II

CAC CA-18 Mark 23 Mustang

Canadair North Star

CASA 2.111B and D

Cierva Air Horse

de Havilland Mosquito

de Havilland Hornet

Fairey Barracuda

Fairey Battle

Fairey Fulmar

Fairey P.4/34

Fiat G.59

Handley Page Halifax

Handley Page Halton

Hawker Hart (Test bed)

Hawker Henley

Hawker Horsley (Test bed)

Hawker Hotspur

Hawker Hurricane and Sea Hurricane

Hispano Aviación HA-1112

I.Ae. 30 Ñancú

Miles M.20

North American Mustang Mk X

Renard R.38

Short Sturgeon

Supermarine Type 322

Supermarine Seafire

Supermarine Spitfire

Tsunami Racer

Vickers F.7/41

Vickers Wellington Mk II and Mk VI

Vickers Windsor

Westland Welkin

Curtiss P-40F
North American P-51B. C. D, H & K.

Some of those listed were prototypes or built in small numbers.

The Manchester III was the original name for the Lancaster I, so it really should not be on thelist.

Curtiss P-40F
North American P-51B. C. D, H & K.

Some of those listed were prototypes or built in small numbers.

The Manchester III was the original name for the Lancaster I, so it really should not be on thelist.
like the merlin rather have the pratt though

Hi VA5124.

It started out in 1937 at 1,500 hp for the "A" series, went to 2,000 hp for the "B" series, to 2,100 - 2,800 hp for the "C" series, 2,200 hp for the "D" series, and wound up at 2,450 hp in the "E" series.

For me,
The 2800 series in a radial, but the Packard built Merlin in a inline. Packard corrected some of the Rolls Royce Merlin issues.
The Wright 1820's took the war to Berlin, so there is that, and many of them came back missing cylinders yet still ran and returned their crew safely. There is also a strong case to be made for the BMW 801 radial, and the DB 605.This also brings the question how do we not over look the 2600 series or the Allison V-1710? Finely we have the metric P&W aka Sakae - 12. So as you can see many power plants were used and benefited the country of origin greatly, it's really hard to pinpoint or say favorite when you roll up your sleeves and really dive into them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back