best fighter of the 50s

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shoot - I wish!

Actually they could be had for between 50 - 100K. Operating costs and maintenance are the killers....

I'll bet. I would guess insurance is not cheap on that either.

I ran a quick quote through AOPAs website for me as a student pilot for the 1M policy with ground and flight hull damage policy, pretty basic stuff based on a Cessna 150 with a $20,000 purchase price. For me, it would be $780.

That doesn't sound too bad, but that is a 150. I then ran the numbers for a Beech Bonanza (1947-1965 vintage) with a $105,000 purchase price and the same coverage. Now it goes way up, $3,119!

I could only imagine that it gets worse from there.

Like me, you guys better win that damn lottery pretty soon to fuel our desire for toys!
Victory.gif

My father in law has been debating buying an L-29. The problem here is the altitude, the thing is basically a dog at SL during takeoff, I could imagine the way it would behave on a summer's day at 5500 feet! Although the guy who previously owned Doug Gilliss' L-29 had it in Big Bear - 6748 MSL!!!!

I'd say Hunter is like a Spitfire and F-86 like a Mustang, both are at the top of the game and real pilots aircraft, but it would be difficult to seperate them on performance alone, however I'd say the F-86 nudges ahead by being more significant in history.

FLYBOYJ said:
Many people I know who own private F-86s easily transitioned into them with some time in a T-33 or L-29, just like in the 50s.

Canadair Sabers seemed to be built a little better when compared to NA built ones. My only vice with them (as a maintainer) is they leak easily, especially from actuators....
yeah but the Canadair Sabres would fly circles around the North American ones

pbfoot said:
yeah but the Canadair Sabres would fly circles around the North American ones
As you've said, the Mk.6 with the Orenda 14 engine was probably the best of the "standard" variants out there. The Aussie Avon engined, cannon armed variant however was probably far more lethal in the right hands.

Hunter has to be the best of the fighter of the era. Speed, agility, ease of handleing, flexibility and firepower. One hit with those Adens and you are history, and I don't care what your flying.

It was also good in hot conditions where most of the early jets struggled.

Glider said:
Hunter has to be the best of the fighter of the era. Speed, agility, ease of handleing, flexibility and firepower. One hit with those Adens and you are history, and I don't care what your flying.

It was also good in hot conditions where most of the early jets struggled.
Hunter was a good aircraft - I still think the Saber (Especially Canadiar or Avon) will eat it for lunch!! :twisted:

Did anyone warn him about the rudder. The RAF didn't want to sell them when they were taken out of service as you had to be carefull about the power assistance on the rudder. There was a tendancy for it to run away which isn't good news.
The RAF knew how to look after it but were worried about being taken to court by american lawyers in case of an accident.

Glider said:
Did anyone warn him about the rudder. The RAF didn't want to sell them when they were taken out of service as you had to be carefull about the power assistance on the rudder. There was a tendancy for it to run away which isn't good news.
The RAF knew how to look after it but were worried about being taken to court by american lawyers in case of an accident.
I heard something about that - I think they actually crashed one during the making of the movie Hot Shots...

But is there anyone here who wouldn't like to go for a ride in one. We used to see them a lot training pilots in GA in the Welsh Valleys. Perfect day on the hills taking a break during a cross country walk, sitting on the grass in the sun watching these go past below you.
Remember seeing one being chased by a Phantom. The Gnat going down the vally like a whippet jinking all over the place, turning at the last second where the valley forked into two before going down the right hand fork. The Phantom banking, banking a lot more, I knew he wasn't going to make it and its funny how detatched you are at times like this. Then with little or no time to spare he leveled out stuck the nose up and climbed like stink. Wouldn't like to guess how close he was to the side of the mountain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back