Best Fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As it is a democracy, the Spitfire was the better looking of the two.

looks can be deceiving.

The Bf 109G-6/AS and G-10 variants were the fastest 109's and did well in their high cover roles during the summer-winter of 44-45. Also well as a fast high altitude a.c at night agasint LSNF Mossies flying over the Reich for harassment raids on Berlin.

E ~

The 109K-4 was the fastest of the 109 variants (452mph, a good deal faster any of the Gustavs). But Plan_D is right, just about any variant of the 190 looked better than any variant of the 109.

I have the records showing G-10's and G-6/AS doing 480 plus in a flat out against the Mossie LSNF. The K-4 never proved it's worth as there were so few of them in JG 27, 51 and 4 plus a few other JG's that kept G-10's on hand. The G-10 and a few K-4's were used in the nigiht time role with I./NJG 11 by the way.

E ~

CC it will be in our Nachtjagd book "Nasty Surprise, Moskito-jagd over Deutschland" which will cover the Bf 109G's of 10.(N)/JG 300 later II./NJG 11 and the Me 262's of Kommando Welter. many first person accounts and personal friends with two of the living pilots...........this is seperate from my Ju 88G-6 book. The Moskito-jagd is the development of some 35 years of research on my part and we have gone to some extremems finding the proper documentation and vets to be interviewed both RAF, US and German...........

v/r

Erich

CC I have researched / helped on over 10 different books. The last one on German night fighter losses and helping a German author friend for his German Luftwaffe ground attack book. Am also working on my personal interviews of German crews for the March 45 mission Unternehmen Gislea where Ju 88G's attacked English airfields with a dangerous fly back home/ intruder mission. you're maybe aware of the mission ?

Submitted German day fighter claims and losses for a book being prepared by the 445th bomb group-US, mission over Kassel on 27 September 1944 where the 445th bg lost over 30 B-24's to the three Sturmgruppen operating the heavy Fw 190A-8. Two more books in the works besides my own two personal ones I have made statements about........

One of the problems I suffer is Carperal tunnel in both my wrists so this keeps me from writing long paragraphs without extreme pain, so I leave the completed works to fine authors and help with research.

thumbs up !

Erich

you still havent's actually given us your opinion yet Erich, which do you think looked better, and don't say "which varient" or anything like that..............

looked better ? ! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeks, well I sure like the looks of the P-51 but also the Schwalbe, Me 262 and the Ta 152. The Fw 190A-8/R8 with the heavy sturm armor just looks plain mean and was as a bomber killer, it's primary function.

let you guys on a little secret though, we are going to be having some wonderful stuff covering the unknown Me 262B-2 night fighter in our Moskito-jagd book. the Jg 7 author Manfred Boehme is allowing us access to his incredible photo/drawing archiv and we will cover this unproven variant at length, since the futuristic a/c was to be ready for ops in the winter of 1946 had the war continued..........

E ~

I try my best by typing really slow but most of the time my typing is just plain horrible !

E ~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back