Best guitar duo

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
There are a ton a great rock bands with fantastic lead guitarist, but only a few have a notable guitar duo. Here are just a couple I thought of. Who can ya'll add? I know Adler will have a few.

K.K. Downing Glenn Tipton - Judas Priest
Jeff Watson Brad Gillis - Night Ranger
Sammy Hagar Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen
Chris De Garmo Michael Wilton - Queensryche
Adrian Vandenberg and Steve Vai - Whitesnake
Adrian Vandenberg and Phil Collin - Def Leppard

I thought about adding Metallica because of Kirk Hammett, but I don't think anyone ever discusses James Hetfield as an accomplish guitarist, so, they didn't make it on my list.

Agreed, but these guys has been around for some time now.
Chris De Garmo Michael Wilton from Queensryche are fantastic!!!!

In modern times, Herman Lee and SamTotman from Dragonforce are Guitar Genuis Gods :) If anybody listens to this band they'll know exectly what I mean \m/

edd

Huh Hetfield not an accomplished guitarist?

He is much more skilled than Kirk imo. In fact on the flipside Kirk isn't technically that greater guiitarist.
:)

I'd be adding the duo of Adrian Smith/ Dave Murray - Iron Maiden(pre Janick Gerrs)

Theres more no doubt but they spring immediately to mind

He is much more skilled than Kirk imo. In fact on the flipside Kirk isn't technically that greater guiitarist.

Either I'm going to learn something I didn't know or I'm going to have to disagree with you Heinz. But that doesn't mean I don't like you. ha ha :) Besides, nothing wrong with learning something, right? Is Hetfield that good?

Lynyrd Skynyrd, four accomplished guitarists in the bands early history, Allen Collins, Steve Gaines, Ed King, and Gary Rossington.
Not the same stlye of music in the previous examples, but they had extreme talent in the type of music they played.

Hetfield is a fine and decent guitar player, but IMHO Kirk is more versatile, being able to do many styles.

Lynyrd Skynyrd, four accomplished guitarists in the bands early history, Allen Collins, Steve Gaines, Ed King, and Gary Rossington.
Not the same stlye of music in the previous examples, but they had extreme talent in the type of music they played.
Good choice! Very good guitarwork and brilliantly composed. But I thought they were only 3 guitar players and a Bass player?

Either I'm going to learn something I didn't know or I'm going to have to disagree with you Heinz. But that doesn't mean I don't like you. ha ha :) Besides, nothing wrong with learning something, right? Is Hetfield that good?

Well Hetfields musical composition is what makes him the better musician in my eyes. Also he is very precise with his playing, downstrokes are hard to sustain for long periods at a fast pace like he does.

Kirk can't keep up as much with his picking and on the SKOM dvd extras theres even a bit where he struggles to learn a basic picking pattern.
HOWEVER

Kirk is a great guitarist and has really found his click in Blues/Metal style of soloing. I only find fault in his scale choice and over use of the wah pedal. His scale runs up/down the neck are fairly fast in fact Damage Inc clocks in at about 19notes a second at one point for the solo.

He has some really epic moments and some very so-so ones too. Trinity with Carlos Santana on All That I Am (album) is quite disappointing, once again imo.

My musician forum debate this stuff daily, never find an answer really.

:D

Er, are we forgetting:

Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham of Thin Lizzy?

and

Andy Powell and Laurie Wisefield of Wishbone Ash?

Shame on you. :)

I have a buddy of mine that plays in a local band here in Dallas. He typically plays the rhythm guitar, but sometimes plays the lead. Adrian is a fantastic player and I asked him why he didn't play more lead. He said because their lead guitarist can't do it and playing rhythm is much harder.

Jug, I was kinda thinking just rock, but feel free to post anyone. More than likely if you post two guitarist from the Peruvian symphony orchestra we wont know who they are.

Maximowitz posted Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham and I didn't know them by name, but when he said Thin Lizzy, I know the music.

For example, if I say Andy Mckee, I'm sure most of you have no clue who that is, but he has mastered his craft, IMO.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back