Best Nightfighter of WW2 (Continued)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cheddar cheese

Major General
Jan 9, 2004
WSM, England
The only sense that lanc makes are smelly ones ;)

(Yes, I know the spelling for that sentence is scents, but you get my drift.)

sorry DAvidicus but the Smithsonian article is bogus. The last production Heinkel 219 to serve on ops was the
A-2 variant. The A-5 , A-6 and A-7 never appeared. The operational record of I./NJG 1 flying the beast is at best dismal

Erich might shoot me down for this, ;) but the top speed usually listed (416mph) for the 219 was for an a/c that had been cleaned up > no antenna, no exhaust shrouds, and some other stuff removed which I have forgotten.

KK no I think the Uhu was a pig and the a/c probably did 375 mph max loaded in the air.

Erich said:
KK no I think the Uhu was a pig and the a/c probably did 375 mph max loaded in the air.

Erich, I agree. I think you read my post wrong. The number given for top speed is bogus as the a/c would not be of much operational without any radar antenna, yes? Unshrouded exhausts would be like a shooting star in a night sky, yes?

not necessarily. I just think the top speed of 416 is a bit much with all the radar aerials and given the fact the Uhu was a pretty good sized twin engine for the Germans. the Ju 88G-6 could even top out at 400 mph if pushed....

Erich said:
not necessarily. I just think the top speed of 416 is a bit much with all the radar aerials and given the fact the Uhu was a pretty good sized twin engine for the Germans. the Ju 88G-6 could even top out at 400 mph if pushed....

Erich the nose was clean. Only the stubs were in place. The Mossie gained several mph when its exhaust shrouds were removed.

I confess that I am unaware of the evidence disparaging the He-219.

What sources indicate that the He-219 was anything but a superb night fighter?

I think that the P-61C would have been a truly great night fighter but it never saw combat. I understand that the A and B versions were somewhat slow (370 mph).

I agree, both, P-61C and He-219 were great nightfighters technically. But they also had little impact compared to the Mossie, the Me-110G and the Ju-88G. That is an important point, I belive. Even if they lack some speed and technical advantages, they managed to do the work over years pretty well. And the future belonged to jet driven nightfighters, anyway. I would vote for the Mossie, it proved to be reliable, it had excellent nightfighting capabilities, it was deployed in numbers and it stayed in front line use till the very end of ww2. I

David what is your source(s) that say the He 219 was a good nf ? only 12 Mossie kills does not say much. the engines were not in good shape and failed many times on combat ops. Did not have the range for ops that everyone envisioned at first. The armament though powerful was too much and many A-0's and A-2's had two of the ventral cannon removed. The ejection seats did not always work properly and actually ejected both crewmen through the canopy several times killing them. No rarward radar on 9/1-th sof the A-0's and A-2's used on operations and the bird was easy prey for the Mossie Night fighter. The a/c was also prone to broken backs while on landing, rason for NJGr 10 and their tests to leave the two birds broken on the decaying tarmac while they used Ju 88G-6's in 1944-45.

My sources are documentation from I./NJG 1, 3./NJGr 10, NJG 5, Nachtjagdstaffel Norwegen.

Although in the testing stages, the A-5 and A-7 did not appear to the front line unit I./NJG 1 as thought. The anti-Mossie A-6 stripped of all armor never got off the ground and was neither used on operations, in fact it never got to the service unit destined for the a/c.

The P-51A nd B were too heavy for the ETO and although kills were made esepcially by the US 422nd nfs many German bombers and Night fighters elluded the Black Widow. Tthree Widows were shot down by return fire from a He 177 and JU 87D-5's on three different missions....

E

Erich:

Type in "He-219" into your search engine and you will retrieve a wealth of web sites with information singing the praises of the He-219 as a night fighter. I have not seen any disparaging information with the exception of what knowledgeable people (like yourself) are saying.

I will defer to your assertions here as I am not very knowledgeable concerning the He-219 or really any of the night fighters for that matter.

On another note, I believe you meant P-61 as opposed to P-51.

I'll punch in He 219 and I am sure it is old news. yes correct P-61 not P-51. my poor hands.............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back