Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Corsair

• ME110

• JU88

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the short time it was around (I think it was as little as a week) I scored about a dozen kills...one guy became an nf ace in one...it wasnt bad...

Yeah, 4x20mm, big deal, how many rounds could it carry? And when all your guns are the same, they all fire at once. With 2 different types, you can fire either the .50 cals or the 20mm...so in effect you have a lot more firing time...

there much more power in 20mm rounds, fewer to knock down your opponent.

P-38's scored 12 kills in the Pacific and there were no aces flying the machine. the P-38M came into service in the Pacific with the nfs in January/February 1946.

the best nf was the P-61 for the US and the Mossie XIX and XXX for the RAF

E ~

You know he's refering to the P-38M...and I think I put 19 somewhere, oh well...it's 12...

sorry but the figures I quoted stick. The M's scored no victories at night as I already mentioned on another thread that the M came in January/February 1946 in the Pacific.

My figures come from several sources but namely materials from the US night fighter association of which I was a member for 7 years until they closed down about 5 years ago

v/r ▼

Since I have clue on the subject of the P-38M, I'm going to say...Erich is right... :lol: Good luck, CC :drinking: 8-[ :computer:

You better wish me luck...I know ive seen some where that in WW2, a pilot scored 4 kills in the P-61, and the went on to score 3 kills in the P-38M. All at night...

76 (Or is it 72?) P-38M's saw service in WW2, all in the pacific/ I found a great site a while back with their serial numbers...

I just checked the records of the Pacific US nfs and NO P-38M's scored kills. the P-38 victories were early on in the war and the rest till war's end were in P-61's. sorry guys to spoil the fun, but the web is incorrect.

not surprising though as the web is bogus on many occassions.....

E ♪

show me the many places please..............again I have quoted from official US documentation as well as the nfs histories. Myths abound CC.

True P-38's scored the first Pacfic kills and then they were replaced by the P-61 A and B. Granted a few P-38's were kept for whatever reasons.

Just as a side light and off topic but to show the myths. It has been reported back in the late 1960's in William Grrens book on German warplanes that FAGr 5 Ju 290/390's flew to within 15 miles of New York undetected. the point I am making is that many have the book and many web-sites publish this nonsense as truth. The fact in the FAGr 5 logs is that the unit never carried out this mission as they were strictly concerned with providing recon for U-boots and anti shipping strikes.

E ~

Good point, Erich. I have said before that while some good infor can be gleaned from sites such as Joe Baugher's, the information should also be second sourced.

I don't remember where, But I do recall that there were some kills by P-38s flying at night, but not the P-38M. These were done before the M came out. I will have to see if I can remember where I read it. I did not get a second source on that info, so I did not include it when I presented about the P-38 back in September. I only mentioned that a P-38 nightfighter was developed and left it at that.

Im still trying to find those sites....as you can see from the link evan posted P-38M's did see limited service...Im sure I saw a source showing P-38M kills though which I am still trying to find...

I have...im still in doubt though. Im having a bit of trouble finding the site again, but I think once I have the name of the pilot it quotes as getting kills with the P-38M you will be able to settle this.

what makes you think the web-master of the site will know more than US documentation and the US veterans that flew the P-38/P-61 in combat in the Pacific. As I said before and I will say it again, there is so much bogus crap on the net it makes it all the worthwhile and much more enjoyable to deleve into a good read or better yet hunt down info via National archivs and PRO, etc for the details........... 8)

The guy must have got his information from somewhere...Im not doubting your sorces at all, im believing them now, but I just want to make 100% certain....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back