Best Sounding WWII Fighter.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cheddar cheese said:
FLYBOYJ said:
lesofprimus said:
Hell yea Joe....

Because of my upbringing, I'll always enjoy the sound of the Corsair best of all....

Yep - I could understand that..

Here's the classic "start up." I get a woody eveytime I hear this.....

I dunno if its because of the quality or what, but to me that sounded like a broken toilet trying to flush... ;)

:lol: - actually what you are hearing is the starter engaging and the engine turning several times, then the big radial actually turns over....

Ahhhh - music to my ears!!! :love4:

I like them all, and I've heard most of them. The P-38 sounded smoothest by far and the Tigercat is the most rambunctious! 8)

wmaxt

Long Island Native guy who wrote-

Because of my upbringing, I'll always enjoy the sound of the Corsair best of all....

I would have thought you would selected an Iron Works plane.

I quite like the sound of a RR Griffon Engine. Sounds like a engine that was made by men for men........if you see what i mean: i.e A real deep, growling sound when at full bore :)

That still sounds gay........nevermind lol

I ereally love the sound of any merlin engine...But I think the sound of the mercedes engine of first series of bf 109 is really elegant

I am amazed that only one said something about the Me 109....So my top 3 are:

1. Me 109
2. FW 190
3. Zero

Any aircraft with a turbo supercharger would have sounded smooth and silent, the turbine silences the exhaust. That leaves perhaps only the P-47 and P-38 fighters and the American heavy bombers. The Merlin was very noisy in the cockpit, it could be very fatiguing. Even the Me 109 was considerably quitter due to is low exhaust placement from the inverted engines. I believe the sleave valved Bristol Hercules used on the Beaufighter could be distinct due to the absence of poppet valves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back