Best Sounding WWII Fighter.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

V-1710

Airman 1st Class
Nov 8, 2005
My vote would go to either the P-39, P-40, or P-51/51A: any non-turbo Allison with short stacks. The P-38 was too quiet. Water cooled V-12 with long exuast pipes running to the turbo. The props made more noise than the engines did! Merlins had a nice sound too, but not as smooth as the Allison. R-2800 is an earful. Particularly in the P-47, with the turbo whine. Never got a chance to hear the DB in the 109. What did they sound like?

Well Mustangs and Spits sound great, but I do also like the sound of the Boomerang, with the whistling over the gun ports on top of its Pratt and Whitley Twin Wasp radial.

Ive heard lots of aircraft at the Chino airshows.

Best sounding to me was the P38.

The B25 was quite noisey

The P51/Spit/P40 didnt sound anything special

The Seafury sounded like it was a champion...... just at idle it sounded like it meant business.

The B17 and B24 sounded great too.

Flyboy, you ever hear the Grumman S2 tracker? Good god, it sounded horrible. The design of the exhaust collector tended to amplify the harsh frequencies and dampen the more pleasant ones.

It sounded like one of those 60's V8's with holes in the exhaust pipes. Almost like someone snapping a wooden bat in half ever second.

syscom3 said:
Flyboy, you ever hear the Grumman S2 tracker? Good god, it sounded horrible. The design of the exhaust collector tended to amplify the harsh frequencies and dampen the more pleasant ones.

It sounded like one of those 60's V8's with holes in the exhaust pipes. Almost like someone snapping a wooden bat in half ever second.

YEP! Sounds like russian burp gun amplified 100x. Inside it isn't too bad, I'm sitting in the right seat here, we were testing the brakes after a condition inspection....
S2f-04-300x80.gif

if you ask me the WWI fighters sounds just as good if not better than the WWII ones, but as far as WWII fighters go it has to be the spit........

lesofprimus said:
Hell yea Joe....

Because of my upbringing, I'll always enjoy the sound of the Corsair best of all....

Yep - I could understand that..

Here's the classic "start up." I get a woody eveytime I hear this.....

Attachments

• radial_startup_209.wav
    165.7 KB · Views: 124
FLYBOYJ said:
syscom3 said:

YEP! Sounds like russian burp gun amplified 100x. Inside it isn't too bad, I'm sitting in the right seat here, we were testing the brakes after a condition inspection....
S2f-04-300x80.gif
When I was growing up, there were Trackers based nearby at CFB Shearwater. You'd hear those things coming forever before you saw one. The sound was unmistakable. Not exactly a stealthy aircraft. :lol:

Nice pic, Joe.

Nonskimmer said:
FLYBOYJ said:
syscom3 said:

S2f-04-300x80.gif
When I was growing up, there were Trackers based nearby at CFB Shearwater. You'd hear those things coming forever before you saw one. The sound was unmistakable. Not exactly a stealthy aircraft. :lol:

Nice pic, Joe.

Used to see them all the time when i was in Canada '83-88'.

PS - welcome back NS!!

Nonskimmer, I flew over your neck of the woods on Thursday, coming back from London. Did you know that in Northern Quebec, between Newfoundland and Hudson bay, the outside air temp was nearly -100F (at 37,000ft)?

FLYBOYJ said:
lesofprimus said:
Hell yea Joe....

Because of my upbringing, I'll always enjoy the sound of the Corsair best of all....

Yep - I could understand that..

Here's the classic "start up." I get a woody eveytime I hear this.....

I dunno if its because of the quality or what, but to me that sounded like a broken toilet trying to flush... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back