Best Sounding WWII Fighter.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Q: Which WW2 fighter sounds best?

A: 1. The first one I get to fly.
2. Merlin powered, Allison turbo powered, R2800 powered.

Cheers,
Biff

I am amazed that only one said something about the Me 109....So my top 3 are:

1. Me 109
2. FW 190
3. Zero
The Bf109's Daimler-Benz engine certainly has a unique sound

The Fw190's BMW801 is definitely at the top of my list of favorites, mainly because a radial engine produces music to my ears!

The A6M's Sakai radial is not all that exciting to hear. It just seems to lack that growl that you expect to hear from a radial.

When I was much younger, there was a machinist who learned his trade from the Luftwaffe when he was a teenager in German occupied Czechoslovakia. In the back of his shop, was a Jumo211 on a stand, that he had lovingly restored. When he fired that engine up, it was incredible to hear...one of the most amazing things I have ever heard. To have been able to hear a Stuka in flight must have been awesome!

One heck of a pilot taking that 109 off from an unlevel bouncy grass field. The narrow undercarriage sure doesn't help but you can see why it was not uncommon when 109's crashed on takeoff/landings.

One heck of a pilot taking that 109 off from an unlevel bouncy grass field. The narrow undercarriage sure doesn't help but you can see why it was not uncommon when 109's crashed on takeoff/landings.

Landing and take-off accidents were a problem but extra training got it down to the same level as other aircraft types. Once in the air the Me 109's handling was superb: plenty of pre stall buffet, probably the easiest spin recovery of any ww2 aircraft, in fact almost impossible to spin.

Eventually it was discovered that when in the 3 point attitude that prop circulation would cause one wing to stall ahead of the other and caused the ground looping problem. You will find extended tail yokes were fitted in many if not most Me 109G10, quite a few Me 109G14 and a few G6. All K4 had the extended yoke as it was retractable built in part rather than an interchangeable fixture. The higher sitting angle also increased visibility and ground taxing accidents reduced.

Training requirements for the 109 were high and this was a big disadvantage: not only because of the landing/takeoff procedures but because the poor rearward visibility, lack of rear view mirrors, meant very strict paired flying was required. It was a tragedy for the Luftwaffe that it had to rely on this aircraft quite so long. It does sound wonderful though.

Last edited:
There probably would be Napier Sabre fans, if there were any around. As far as I know, there aren't any running, at least in airworthy form, and any WW2 soundtrack could, at best, be of dubious quality.
I'll admit though, if there was an airworthy Tempest or Typhoon, it would be a heck of a sound to hear !

109/190 both are a tie in my eyes OR ears!! Corsair and P-47 get another voting tie for myself, BUT if I could only listen to one engine purr for the rest of my life, it'd be the P-51 merlins....ugh just music to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back