Best Special forces (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GSG-9 really are nothing more than an anti terror police unit. They are not allowed to leave Germany's borders or anything like that. There was some GSG-9 in Iraq protecting the German Ambassador but nothing else.

KSK is the military unit and is based off the SAS and recieved there training from the SAS.

All major SpecOps are more than impressive as I said before this could go on forever. And as Glider says it's quite amazing when you realise how small a lot of them are...my dad was in a FOB in the desert during the Gulf seeing lads from the coalition into Iraq in the back of a Chinook (Dan probably rode in one and met my dad without knowing, as we've spoken before) and he was impressed with these lads with packs almost the size of them and god knows how many weapons. As has been said it's all mental, stamina and intelligence...and all earn the greatest of respect from me, whether they're number one or not.

But SAS are senior, respect your elders DAN! :lol:

Dont get me wrong, theres more than a couple SAS guys I worked with who impressed the hell outta me as Operators, but as a whole entity, I dont think their (SAS) level of training or tempo rival some of the other Spec Ops communites...

I do remember in Iraq, we were getting ready to hit a certain somebody, and as the mission was being briefed, the SAS guys hadda go have their afternoon tea....

Afternoon Tea???

We're gettin ready to head North some 150 klicks and its Tea Time???

Given the threat to the British fleet posed by the Etendard / Exocet combination, plans were made to use Special Air Service troops to attack the home base of the five Etendards at Río Grande, Tierra del Fuego. The aim was to destroy the missiles and the aircraft that carried them, and to kill the pilots in their quarters. Two plans were drafted and underwent preliminary rehearsal: a landing by approximately fifty-five SAS in two C-130 Hercules aircraft directly on the runway at Rio Grande; and infiltration of twenty-four SAS by inflatable boats brought within a few miles of the coast by submarine. Neither plan was implemented; the earlier airborne assault plan attracted considerable hostility from some members of the SAS, who considered the proposed raid a suicide mission. Ironically, the Rio Grande area would be defended by four full-strength battalions of Marine Infantry of the Argentine Marine Corps of the Argentine Navy, some of whose officers were trained in the UK by SB Sqn years earlier. After the war, Argentine marine commanders admitted that they were waiting for some kind of landing by SAS forces but never expected a Hercules to land directly on their runways, although they would have pursued British forces even into Chilean territory if they were attacked.

A SAS reconnaissance team was dispatched to carry out preparations for a seaborne infiltration. A Westland Sea King helicopter carrying the assigned team took off from HMS Invincible on the night of May 17, but bad weather forced it to land 50 miles (80 km) from its target, and the mission was aborted. The pilot flew to Chile and dropped off the SAS team, before setting fire to his helicopter and surrendering to the Chilean authorities. The discovery of the burnt-out helicopter attracted considerable international attention at the time.

On May 14, the SAS carried out the raid on Pebble Island at the Falklands, where the Argentine Navy had taken over a grass airfield for FMA IA 58 Pucará light ground attack aircraft and T-34 Mentors. The raid destroyed the aircraft there.

It was also during this main attack that the SAS lost one soldier and seven were wounded due to friendly fire, from one of their other patrols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back