Best World War II Aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes, but we can't find any possible specificity of that plane by comparing with Spits and 109's. We must compare it to its previous versions, MB152/155, which were good planes but with armament problems (freezing Hispano-suiza guns !) and such a poor engine !
But that new Gnome-Rhone 14R is really much more powerful and uses a revolutionnary compressor that allows high speed at high altitude. Maybe we can find suchs innovations in Bf-109F and Spit Mk.Vb but some months later, and in facts that's not a real surpise...

Finally when we look at french air industry at that time, we find that innovations and new models were quite distant in time from those of other countries (Germany, UK), and much more for engine industry.
It's considered in France that the best "What if" (France hadn't lost) plane is Arsenal VG.33, but it's not sure at all, due to its heavy wooden fabrication and former Hispano engine and heavy and problematic hispano guns. The Dewoitine family is evocated too, but just look at the D.520, even if it's a great fighter in 1940, nothing can prove that its small size can support war innovatiopns and heavier gears...
...at least that MB157 is all the more surprising that it is the only fighter project with new Gnome-Rhone engine, and the plane's conception allows modifications easily. Quite surely, it can be compared to the Fw-190 conception, compact fighters with powerful engine and certainly heavy weapons.
But it was tested in 1942, without guns and witout 2 years of war innovations it was able to support and without its builder final improvements, so that's just a great "what if" .

A 6 months technology advance, for an army composed by 2 technology years late planes, and for a lost war...

Cheers,

Macwan.

Yes but since there is no way to compare it to anything and aircraft just 6 months later were definatly 100% better aircraft the Bloch can not qualify as the Best WWII Aircraft.

hey hey ! I said the best of its generation ! I wouldn't do our "what if" story last until we consider a Bloch with late war innovations ! -with jet engine that time, :lol: .
The only things we're sure is that due to fall of France we won't never know what this plane could have become and do during years of war and innnovations, and that M.Bloch was a very good plane conceptor (check his creations Gents :occasion5: )...

But considering "the best fighter of WWII", we can forget all that was build before 1944...
In that case I vote for Spitfire Mk.XIV (also a question of taste, I confess 8) ).
And for the "best WWII plane", I'd say B-17.

Cheers,

Macwan.

the lancaster kicks *** said:
what's your basis for the B-17 argument?

Lanc.....aren't you going to cut him some slack (let him post 40-50 posts) before telling him the Lancaster is the best. :lol:

Just kidding man.

Here we go again...

With over 12,000 built, 60 years of service, operated by Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burma, Cambodia, Canada, Chad, China, Chile, Colombia, Congo, Cuba, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Ethiopia, France, Finland, Gabon, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Israel, Italy, Ivory Coast, Japan, Laos, Libya, LOT Polish Airlines, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauretania, Mexico, Mongolia, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, North Vietnam, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Papa New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Rhodesia, Romania, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, South Africa, South Korea, South Vietnam, Somalia, Soviet Union, Sri Lanka, Spain, Sweden, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand, Togo, Turkey, Uganda, Uruguay, United Kingdom, United States (Army Air Corps, Army Air Force, Air Force, Marine Corps, Navy), Venezuela, Vietnam, Yeman, Yugoslavia, Zaire, Zambia, and with close to 400 of them still flying, this is a mute argument....

Overall best WW2 aircraft...

C-47.jpg

Hey Flyboy I heard that Argentina used them as gunships like the C-130 gunships... albeit a little older tech. Definitely a most excellent bird.

However, everybody knows the Bf 109 was the best bird of WW2 - it ushered in a new era of aircraft and raised the bar to unparalleled heights! Speaking of which, I bought a 1990 Mustang GT off of a guy distantly related to Willy Messerschmitt, not that this knowledge will affect anyone's life.

ushered in a new era of aircraft

i will agree that it did perhaps raise the bar a bit but the first "modern" fighter of the Era was the I-16, first monoplane with an all metal construction, enclosed cockpit and retractable landing gear.........

Bf-109, a great aircraft, ONE of the best, operated by Spain (HA-1112) into the 60s.

Overall performance, longevity durability and versatility, nothing beats a Gooney!!!!

davparlr said:
???? And the Spitfire did what???

Long live the C-47. R4D to the Navy types.

The spit was not operational until 1938 while the Bf 109B entered service in April '37 - a big gap there.

And the I-16 was a step forward (retractable gear, yes, but God cranking those handles is ridiculous!) - although not a very capable fighter with it's stubby fuselage and poor handling combined with a big and weak radial - and the extremely flawed design revealed itself in the fact that it could not be successfully upgraded... definitely not in the same class as the 109.

mkloby said:
The spit was not operational until 1938 while the Bf 109B entered service in April '37 - a big gap there.

a year was a big gap in WWII but not in mid 30s. Development was very close to parallel and you can bet the 109 had no impact on the design of the spitfire, a plane that was its equal when they met.

davparlr said:
a year was a big gap in WWII but not in mid 30s. Development was very close to parallel and you can bet the 109 had no impact on the design of the spitfire, a plane that was its equal when they met.

I agree. The developments did run mostly concurrently, the 109 just beat the spit to the punch! Hell, it even beat the Hurricane to operational status.

Im with FBJ on this. The best aircraft has to be the C-47.

Oh and mkloby the C-47 was used like the AC-130 in the United States as well in Vietnam. We called it "Puff the Magic Dragon".

I've said it before, but I think the DC-3/C-47 is the greatest plane ever built. From it's maiden flight as the DC-1 in 1933, until today, the DC-3/C-47 is still in use hauling people and cargo in many places throughout the world.

95% of commercial flights in the US were flown in DC-3s by the end of 1938. By 1939, 90% of commercial traffic worldwide was flown in DC-3s.

After the war, the DC-3 was the start of the fledgling airline industries as we know them today. I have yet to meet a pilot that flew one that had anything bad to said about the old Gooney bird.

The lowest ranking member of the USAF to be awarded the Medal of Honor was a crewman on an AC-47. John Levitow was part of the crew manning the guns as another crewmember was dropping flares out of the back door. The were hit as the other crewmember was dropping the flare and it ended up dropping inside the aircraft. Obviously, a white phosphorous flare inside and aircraft, lit, is a bad thing! It was made even worse with live ammo nearby. They all struggled to get it out of the airplane. Although wounded himself in the legs and lower body, Levitow threw himself onto the flare, hugged it to his chest, and crawled to the door to fling it out.

John Levitow was an airman first class (A1C), or an E-3. He passed away a few years ago.

Here are some shots of the aircraft upon it's return, and a tribute to John Levitow. I do not remember where I got these pictures, source is unknown.

Attachments

• levitow_ac-47-3.jpg
    levitow_ac-47-3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 89
  • levitow_ac-47-4.jpg
    levitow_ac-47-4.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 111
  • levitow_ac47ext.jpg
    levitow_ac47ext.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 99
  • levitow_ac47int.jpg
    levitow_ac47int.jpg