Best World War II Aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glider said:
The role I was thinking of was the long range maritime recce / Anti Sub role. It was clearly the best on the allied side serving with UK/USA/Russia and built in Russia with or without US approval. I simply cannot think of any Axis aircraft that comes close.
The Catalina was an excellent aircraft, and it was the third highest scoring ASW aircraft with 34 credited U-boat kills, but the greatest ASW aircraft without doubt, was the Consolidated B-24 Liberator with 72 credited U-boat kills.

Glider said:
The role I was thinking of was the long range maritime recce / Anti Sub role. It was clearly the best on the allied side serving with UK/USA/Russia and built in Russia with or without US approval. I simply cannot think of any Axis aircraft that comes close.

Well I am thinking of best WW2 aircraft and that she was not. Great Aircraft though.

redcoat said:
The Catalina was an excellent aircraft, and it was the third highest scoring ASW aircraft with 34 credited U-boat kills, but the greatest ASW aircraft without doubt, was the Consolidated B-24 Liberator with 72 credited U-boat kills.

Hi Redcoat, do you know off hand the stats of the Short Sunderland in the ASW role, bearing in mind that I think there were far fewer Sunderlands in service than either the B24 or Catalina ?

daishi12 said:
Hi Redcoat, do you know off hand the stats of the Short Sunderland in the ASW role, bearing in mind that I think there were far fewer Sunderlands in service than either the B24 or Catalina ?
The Short Sunderland is credited with 27 U-Boat kills

U-Boat.net has a list of major ASW aircraft types and their war record against U-Boats.
uboat.net - Fighting the U-boats - Aircraft
8)

Yes, that is indeed a great website, and I agree with Adler the most interesting part is the history provided for each boat.

No, seriously, my point about BoB is independent from aircrafts: I believe that the Germans had not enough power (in numbers and in type of aircrafts) to substantially 'damage beyond repair' the British industry and warpower.

Certainly.

Luftwaffe doctrine, so successful in establishing a powerful synergy between air and land operations, was deeply flawed in its understanding of the fundamentals of airpower. The causes were various, but the result was inadequate provision for the industrial investment and resources necessary to sustain operations in the face of high wastage rates that war would bring. By contrast, the Royal Air Force (RAF) was well placed to defend Great Britain, notwithstanding its perceived doctrinal emphasis on strategic bombing. As Richard Overy recently pointed out, the contest the country faced after Dunkirk had been anticipated and prepared for in the 1930s. [1] The Air Ministry, planning the rapid expansion of the front line, had clearly understood the lessons of the First World War, in particular, the high cost--in human and materiel terms--of sustaining air operations.

Even though the Germans were winning the war of attrition, at best it would have been a Pyrrhic victory.

It had nothing to do with the performance of any aircraft. All were competative.

Logistics and the Battle of Britain Air Force Journal of Logistics - Find Articles

All the best,

Crumpp

Check this gents :

Marcel Bloch MB.157
mb157-1.jpg

Year deployed - 1942 (built in 1940)
Wing span, m - 10.70
Lenght, m - 9.70
Height, m - 3.20
Wings area, m2 - 19.40
Weight, kg
- empty aircraft - 2390
- normal take-off - 3250
Engine - 1 PE Gnome-Rhone 14R
Power, hp - 1 У 1590
Maximum speed, km/h - 710
Cruising speed, km/h - 400
Range, km - 1095
Rate of climb, m/min
Service ceiling, m - 11000
Crew - 1
Armament: 2 20 mm cannons or 4 7,5-mm machine-guns

710 Km/h in 1940...
It never was built more than 1 due to France fall, but it would have certainly be the best fighter of its generation. Looks like Razorback... no ?

Regards,

Macwan.

The 710km/h speed of the MB.157 is disputed. If attained at all, it would be without armament, armour and at extreme altitude. A speed of 620km/h seems far more likely.

Besides the Brits and the Germans had aircraft going faster than that back in 1939. True as Red Admiral put out they were without weapons and so forth as that Bloch, but I just dont see the Bloch holding up against the 109, 190 or Spitfire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back