Best World War II Aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A tail dragger with 3 engines wood and fabric construction. That limits it right there. Even though some were still around in the 60s, I'd like to see the time on the airframe and what they were used for in the post war years and compare that with a typical C-47. Although I've read good things about this aircraft just it's layout and construction puts it in a bygone era.

The thing with the C-47 is that it was an airliner in the 1930s, even carrying about 90% of airline traffic worldwide. Then it was pressed into military service and was built in the thousands. They were in use throughout the world for military and civilian use. I believe the last of the military C-47s were retired in 1999 from Israeli service. There are still 2 C-47/DC-3 planes that run cargo out to Catalina island every day.

DC-3s are not only being preserved and flown for museums and historical organizations, but are still being used for their original purpose. Not bad for an airplane whose maiden flight was in 1933!

Agreed Eric and that is why for me the C-47 is the not just the greatest plane of WW2 but the greatest plane of all time.

Definitely "All-time Champ" ... plus few can beat this one:

the "DC-2-and-a-half" ...

plane004.jpg

(C-29.5? = [C-33 + C-47] / 2)

May 20, 1941 Chinese National Aviation Corporation DC-3 No. 46 on a scheduled flight from Hong Kong to Chungking and Chengtu had to divert to a small airfield Suifu (now Yibin) due to a Japanese air raid that eluded the Chinese warning net.

The JNAF bombers score a direct hit on the right wing of the DC-3 with a bomb (probably a 60kg land bomb). The right wing outboard of the engine is destroyed. CNAC knew that the Japanese would be back later to try and complete the destruction of the damaged plane. They needed to make repairs and try to fly the plane out as quickly as possible. Bu how!? There were no spare wings available in China.

price005.jpg

CNAC Chief Engineer Zygmund Soldinski devised an ingenius plan to repair No. 46. The only replacement wing was from a DC-2 undergoing maintenance in Hong Kong. Soldinski had it modified to fit onto a DC-3 (drilled different attachment holes and sealed up the original ones). It was then strapped to the belly of a DC-2 and flown out to Suifu. The DC-2 wing which was 5ft shorter than the standard DC-3 wing was fitted to No.46, allowing it to fly back to Kai Tak Airport in Hong Kong ... after picking up a full load of passengers in Chungking!

CNAC's Famous DC-2 1/2

like the Ju52 or the Savoia Marchetti SM.82, the dc3 (or dc2)
also was a bomber. (that;s for those of you who didnt know that)

The Ju-290 might be a good candidate ?

It was fast, could carry a large load, had a rear loading ramp, excellent defensive armament, long range and was used successfully as an airliner after the war.

ju290up.jpg

ju290-main.jpg

ju290iiue9.jpg

ju290vs6.jpg

ju290-2.jpg

The Ju-252 might be a good candidate as-well, it was a pretty amazing aircraft for its time being very fast, having a long range and a great load carrying capability:

ju252.jpg

JU252cleverrearramptaillift1.jpg

ju252_a1.jpg

ju352ramp.jpg

It might be considered but you still can't compare its longevity to the DC-3

Well ofcourse not, not many were built, much unlike the DC-3. The Ju-290 -252 are individually clearly better transport civil aircraft though.

Had Germany won the war the Ju-290 -252 would've likely had the same reputation as the DC-3 has now.

Well ofcourse not, not many were built, much unlike the DC-3. The Ju-290 -252 are individually clearly better transport civil aircraft though.

Had Germany won the war the Ju-290 -252 would've likely had the same reputation as the DC-3 has now.
Your wrong about that... the C54 and the C69 were clearly far in advance of anything the germans might have planned and they were operational . The 52 was light years behind the 47

A tri-motor taildragger - a bygone era.

I think the Germans just would of produced DC-3s!:lol:

Your wrong about that... the C54 and the C69 were clearly far in advance of anything the germans might have planned and they were operational . The 52 was light years behind the 47

Why do you think that I am wrong pbfoot ? The C-69 Constellation (Or L-49) didn't outperform the Ju-290 or Ju-252 in any way except speed. The Ju-290 -252 both flew further, could carry more, had defensive armament and had a rear loading ramp.

Remember the larger Super-Constellation didn't appear till 1950.

And I certainly don't see how the C-54 is a match for the Ju-290 or -252.

A tri-motor taildragger - a bygone era.

Thats odd for you to say since the DC-3 is a taildragger itself, and the Ju-290 -252 don't suffer from the only problem of the taildragger design both being able to load from a rear loading ramp:

300px-Ju290-3s.jpg

I think the Germans just would of produced DC-3s!:lol:

Not when they clearly had something better.

In terms of transport a/c though, the Arado 232 is ahead of them all. Being able to take off after just 200m this aircraft is truly remarkable.

800px-Ar_232-10.JPG

Could the Junkers fly an entire route, fully loaded on a single engine? Did it have a galley and a WC? Did it carry 90% of all airline traffic before the war? Would Hitler have referred to them as one of the weapons that won the war? Could it have made an airline a profit carrying only passengers, with no other cargo, or mail?

Why do you think that I am wrong pbfoot ? The C-69 Constellation (Or L-49) didn't outperform the Ju-290 or Ju-252 in any way except speed. The Ju-290 -252 both flew further, could carry more, had defensive armament and had a rear loading ramp.

And I certainly don't see how the C-54 is a match for the Ju-290 or -252.

QUOTE]Geez as a german you would think the C54 and c47 would almost be on your currency as they are the aircraft that supplied a city of several million while the aircraft you vaunt couldn't supply 600000 with shorter flying distances or were the Americans just more innovative in their use.

Ever considered the German fuel situation or the fact that not many Ju-290 or Ju-252's were built ???

The Ju-290 Ju-252 could carry more further and faster, and were armed, that makes them better than the DC-3/C-47, C-54 L-49.

I'd also like to point out that the LW did a whole lot of resuplying of German troops in the east, that they failed in StalinGrad can be attributed to bad leadership.

PS: I'm not German pbfoot.

How does a cargo plane being armed make it better? Because an airplane may carry more with a longer range doesn't necessarily make it better. What was it's reliability? How many of them still fly today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back