Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Chinese Air Force

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Russian Air Force

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • Japanese Air Force

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Although I love German aircraft and pilots, the Luftwaffe is a no-go what I'm concerned because of bad leadership and vision. That the Luftwaffe did so good was because it was innovative before WW2. After that, bad decisions, dropping training quality and not getting the most out of their aircraft industry, started to push the Luftwaffe back in favour of the RAF and USAAF.

I also have to go for the USAAF because everthing was in tune, the perfect mix, training, doctrines, technical support, leadership, logistics, ...

An honourable mention for the Finnish Air Force though, an example of making the most (and more) out of little.

Kris

The USAAF was definitely the most powerful airforce in the world in 1945. But I think they had a lot of outdated and mediocre planes in 1941 when they got involved with the war. They were not very well prepared for it. So if this is only about 1944/45 I would vote the USAAF, but not for the whole length of the war.

Yes Marcel.. The pole was not "Which Air Force , at it's peak, was the best." or "Which was the best at the end of the war." The USAF had few bright spots until mid 43 - 44.

The Germans suffered from poor leadership and not a very well rounded inventory, but they were dangerious from start to destruction.

Yes Marcel.. The pole was not "Which Air Force , at it's peak, was the best." or "Which was the best at the end of the war." The USAF had few bright spots until mid 43 - 44.

That's what I figured.

The Germans suffered from poor leadership and not a very well rounded inventory, but they were dangerious from start to destruction.

Were they? Maybe I'm misinformed, but I thought the western allies didn't see a lot from the Luftwaffe after Normandy until the battle of the Bulge. And after that there I thought was even less activity.

If the US didnt enter the War in Europe, the Brits would be speaking German and the Eifel Tower would be flying the Swastica...

Sorry but this satatement is just plain wrong. I am aware how indebted this country is(or should be) to the US. But lets not forget if things got any worse than they did the RAF could use strategic depth to counter the Luftwaffe(Same as they did to RAF when it went on the offensive). It would have been to the USA eternal shame if they let the last ray of hope in europe die out. The BOB forever broken the back of the Luftwaffe.

As for the best airforce. Hmm I couldn't vote. Early on without doubt its the Luftwaffe(training, tactics). BOB RAF Luftwaffe evenly matched but leadership/planning goes to the RAF. Africa eventually the RAF. USAF bombing campaign was the most successfull. Pacific USA.

You can't base the desicion on best planes/training(RAF pilots had little or no training in how to shot during the BOB concentrated on formation flying) at the forces best showing. Other factors such as the competentancy of officers at strategic or even tactical level, logistics, what % of planes where combat ready at any one time etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

What am trying to say is it took the combined effort of all the allies to turn the war around. The RAF couldn't have done it on its own, but equally USSR couldnt have been supplied if GB fell or the USAF wouldnt have waged its superb bombing campaign without GB bases.

Talking of training dosn't the expression "One a day in Tampa Bay" refer to the horrendous B29 losses due to poor training?

Were they? Maybe I'm misinformed, but I thought the western allies didn't see a lot from the Luftwaffe after Normandy until the battle of the Bulge. And after that there I thought was even less activity.

Yes, they were largely decimated but pound for pound, in a tactical sense they were still a threat... except for the depletion in experienced pilots

.... The BOB forever broken the back of the Luftwaffe.

Incorrect. The Luftwaffe wasnt "broken" untill the fighters went on the offensive throughout Germnay in 1944.

What am trying to say is it took the combined effort of all the allies to turn the war around. The RAF couldn't have done it on its own, but equally USSR couldnt have been supplied if GB fell or the USAF wouldnt have waged its superb bombing campaign without GB bases.

by 1944, when the US aircraft industry hit its speed, the training programs were sending out thousands of pilots that had a good chance to succede, then it can honestly be said the USAAF became the most powerfull air force in the world. Everything from well designed planes, good training and tactics, good leadership and industrial suprememcy.

Talking of training dosn't the expression "One a day in Tampa Bay" refer to the horrendous B29 losses due to poor training?

It was the B26 that had issues. And once the pilots were shown how to fly on single engines, the loss rate went way down. In fact, the B26 turned out to have one of the most solidly constructed airframes of the war, giving its aircrews the lowest loss rate of any type.

Everyone it really is stupid to say that one country "won" the war. It was an allied effort. All of them played there role and part and together they defeated Germany and Japan.

It is safe to say though that the US production capacity is what sped up the end of the war. Without the war most certainly would have dragged on longer.

Everyone it really is stupid to say that one country "won" the war. It was an allied effort. All of them played there role and part and together they defeated Germany and Japan.

It is safe to say though that the US production capacity is what sped up the end of the war. Without the war most certainly would have dragged on longer.
Yep!

Good point, but I believe that the RAF was the best, considering they beat back the German onslaught during the Battle of Britain, outnumbered enormously
Too true, but then you'd have to include members of the RCAF, RAAF, and RNZAF, along with Free French and Polish Air Force survivors in the mix as well. Particularly the Poles. They were downright vicious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back