Beware, Britain ! A natural disaster is coming your way !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tube is probably the cheapest (to get anywhere in London) - or the Heathrow Express (~20 pounds to Paddington).

If you know your way take the bus but I would still take the tube - you can get unlimited day tickets for around 5/6 pounds.

Thanks for the tip.

Speaking of money... How does your money system works ? I know that a pound is the biggest unit and that a penny is the smallest... But what about the shilling (or shelling, don't know how you spell it) ?

Thanks for the tip.

Speaking of money... How does your money system works ? I know that a pound is the biggest unit and that a penny is the smallest... But what about the shilling (or shelling, don't know how you spell it) ?

Well a shilling is two sixpence, and a crown is, no wait.... :confused:

6 doubloons to a Ducat which is half of a Gold Sovereign... No wait... :confused: :oops:

:D :D :D

Maestro they converted to the decimal system too, like ours, a pound is 100 pence, just as our doollar is 100 pennies....

If you are coming all that way to the UK, you could spend a bit more time here and visit other parts of the Country apart from London!

But if it is just London, then as others have said the IWM is a must - I believe you can get a ticket that is valid for it and HMS Belfast.

Re: Hendon, it isn't that far, doesn't take long on the Tube - get out at Colindale Tube Station and its just a short walk. You will not regret itCheck out -
HTML:
www.rafmuseum.com
. And of course the bus service that goes past is the '303'!

Re: currency shillings went out of use a long time ago - decimalisation was way back in 1971. Though those of us who remember the 'old days' still use some of its slang. Now its 100 pence to the pound; one two pence coins are 'copper', five, ten, twenty fifty pence coins are 'silver' (only the five ten are round), and one two pound coins are 'brass'. Paper money in normal usage are £5, £10 £20 notes, though the fives are in short supply! And once in awhile you may see a £50 note!!

A caution: beware of how you carry your valuables - pickpockets have been known to take wallets etc from backpacks, without the person concerned realising!!

Geez... Thanks for the tip about the pickpockets.

And thanks for all other info too... And where is the HMS Belfast ? As it is a ship, I assume it moves from port to port, no ?

**EDIT** Oh, and the reason why I just take one week in the UK is because I can only take 2 weeks off by year, for now... But in two years I'll reach the maximum allowed by my company... 3 paid weeks + 1 unpaid week.

Geez... Thanks for the tip about the pickpockets.

And thanks for all other info too... And where is the HMS Belfast ? As it is a ship, I assume it moves from port to port, no ?

**EDIT** Oh, and the reason why I just take one week in the UK is because I can only take 2 weeks off by year, for now... But in two years I'll reach the maximum allowed by my company... 3 paid weeks + 1 unpaid week.

What!! Only - two holidays, in the UK the statutory minimum is four weeks, plus bank holidays!!

HMS Belfast is a 10,000 ton Cruiser launched in March 1938. It's armed with 12 x 6" guns, and capable, in its day, of 32 knots. Perhaps its main claim to fame is its involvement with the Battle of the Barents Sea which saw the sinking of the Scharnhorst.
No, it does not move from port to port, it is permanaently moored on the Thames by Tower Bridge; indeed I don't think the IWM is too far away.

Okay... The great day is coming fast... I don't know if I'll have the time to come back on this site before my departure. I'll be leaving on flight BA0094... It's the first time I'm taking the plane and I'm quite exited.

I'll be taking a lot of pictures in London, I'll post some here when I'll get back.

See you all around September 21st, folks. :D

good trip maestro !

London calling to the faraway towns
Now war is declared - and battle come down
London calling to the underworld
Come out of the cupboard,you boys and girls
London calling, now don't look to us
Phoney Beatlemania has bitten the dust
London calling, see we ain't got no swing
'Cept for the ring of that truncheon thing

CHORUS
The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin
Engines stop running, but I have no fear
Cause London is drowning and I, live by the river

London calling to the imitation zone
Forget it, brother, you can go at it alone
London calling to the zombies of death
Quit holding out - and draw another breath
London calling - and I don't wanna shout
But while we were talking I saw you nodding out
London calling, see we ain't got no high
Except for that one with the yellowy eyes

CHORUS x2
The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thin
A nuclear era, but I have no fear
Cause London is drowning and I, I live by the river

Now get this
London calling, yes, I was there, too
An' you know what they said? Well, some of it was true!
London calling at the top of the dial
And after all this, won't you give me a smile?
London Calling

I never felt so much alike, like-a, like-a...

I spend a week in London last year and had a great time. It's almost as good as Berlin :) I would recomend the science museum as well, as they have a small but priceless collection of aviation history, being the Supermarine S.6 and the Gloster E.28/39.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back