Bf109 with Pipe. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

beaupower32

Tech Sergeant
Jun 10, 2007
Lancaster, California
I looked through the site and couldnt find any thing on this pituclar 109. Anyone have any idea what this is and what model 109 it is. I got this off the 109 Lair website, and I was curious if anyone here would have a Idea. Here is what is said from that website.

The following photos were sent to me by a friend in Texas whose father "liberated" them during his stint as a P-47 pilot during WWII. He has no more information to offer outside of the obvious fact that it's a modified Bf 109T with what appears to be a drainpipe mounted beneath the aircraft. Would anyone out there have any more on this particular aircraft?

Incidentally, the last four shots are of the aircraft after either falling into a flat spin with a dead engine, or lunching the engine during takeoff or landing...note the prop blades are not "wrapped" as they would be if they impacted the ground when still turning. Plus, the wreckage is fairly localized, and the rear portion of the canopy hood lies right near the wreck, indicating the pilot was likely still on board at the time of impact.

It was theorized for a while that this may have been set up to assist with deicing trials of the Ju 86P high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft; however, if the intention was to spray water on another aircraft and have it turn to ice, it stands to reason that the water would freeze in the carrier aircraft as it would be flying at the same altitude.

For laying those chemtrails!!!!

sorry, I couldn't resist.:oops:

Dont tell GrauGeist!

I have seen different theories on this, anything from a smoke screen to inflight refueling, It looks like it can pivot on the hinge there at the base. so may be it can traverse 90 through 90 Degrees straight down.

Dont tell GrauGeist!

I have seen different theories on this, anything from a smoke screen to inflight refueling, It looks like it can pivot on the hinge there at the base. so may be it can traverse 90 through 90 Degrees straight down.

At the front of the tube there looks be a rotating de-icer spray bar. That would seem to indicate a fog or something similar apparatus.

Right now I'm thinking the same as vikingBeserker. I don't think a long tube with the ability to be turned down vertical would be necessary to lay smoke or to try an pour water on another a/c, a small tube along the belly of the a/c could've accomplished that, so it has gotta be something else IMO.

For laying those chemtrails!!!!

sorry, I couldn't resist.:oops:
You may not be far off the track there.

It could be for a specialized smoke generator. The rear bracket actually looks like an escutcheon that both locates the "boom" in the stowed position, and guides the "boom's" cable when it deploys.

I do recall where they were trying to come up with a rapid-deployment solution to obscure thier shore batteries...don't know if this was part of that or not.

Dont tell GrauGeist!
Too Late!
pi_freak.gif

As far as the Bf109 model, that has to be an E...the perspective makes the wings look longer, but they're not right for a T or T-2.

Why put a device like that on an e/c if you want to lay smoke? Seriously it doesn't make any sense. I you wanted just to lay smoke you could've had a pipe run from the belly along to the end of the tail.

The only explanation I can ome up with is that either this was some sort of radio device or it was simply a part meant for another a/c design that was first tested in flight mounted to a Bf-109, wouldn't be out of place back then.

Last edited:
The contrails thing might not be far off , at first I suggested the a/c might have been used for smoke screen but in reflection I think thats wrong the 109 had enough problem toting around enough fuel for itself let alone stuff for other apps . Could the aircraft have been used for investigating the reason for or how to hide contrails

chemical dispenser or smoke generator might be right - but then there hasd to be a tank for chemicals or smoke stuff...
I can't see anyone. :oops:

This is an Emil series 109.

:idea:
Maybe for towing something - a target tug or for towing a glider.
The hole thing is attached at the bomb rack. That is a structurally strong point.
The tail of the 109 was reportably not so strong. The firste F series the had trouble with the tail assembly which tend to break away at certain speed.

"Hey Hans?
Jah?
How do you think we could confuse historians, years from now?
Ve could take a gutter from my hofbrau and put it on a 109.
Jah, and mount it like it belongs.
hehe If ve could only hear them now..."

It could always be an airborne bratwurst delivery system....dropped hot, ready to eat.............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back