Bf109E4/N

What is it made of ?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Okay. Here is my final guess. Based upon the engine details and its crudity. Based upon the wheel well covers and how thin and irregular they are. Based upon the guns and the fact that they are 'tubular' and not solid rods. I will guess...

D - All of the above materials. Certainly it is not a single material. And the scale is unknown. Therefore I would guess that the model is a composite of many different materials.

Unlikely as it sounds I think you can get even more detail with plastic or metal. I'm going with wood. You can get pretty detailed with wood. The backrest of the cockpit has me wondering. (now watch it be freeze-dried camel dung - hand carved! :lol: )

UInfortunately,no.I didn't.It is another guy's model.It took him two years to make the model.Besides he was awarded first place in a competition with 94 points (100 points possible) for the model.

Maybe, somebody else can express his own opinion,let's wait.

I'll write something about an event which happened to the modeller with the model during the competition in my summing-up.

The propeller blades look like they're carved from wood, and the control surfaces look like they're built up from strips of thin plastic (like from a margarine container or something - I sometimes use these for bulkheads and floors).
The fueslage I'm not sure about, it's very smooth, maybe vacformed?
Apart from a slightly underdetailed motor, it's a nice looking model, whatever it's made from.

The close up of the flap made me think paper. Looks like blade was a bit blunt their.

OK guys,tomorrow will be the last day of the poll and everything will be clear in the evening.:) So if there is somebody who wants to vote it is the last chance.

Looking at those flaps again, I'm inclined to agree with BigZ and the others who said paper. I still think the prop blades are wood though (probably balsa).

Sounds stupid but maybe fuselage is recycled milk cartons,they can do amazing stuff with them...

I once toyed with the idea of doing an LZ diorama with Horsa gliders, and was going to make some of the fueslages from handy towel roll...as long as it's practical, nothing is really 'stupid' in modelmaking!!

I can see guys you are in good mods.So OK.

Fist of all I would like to thank all of you for your interests in the pool.Looking at the result I was almost sure that there shouldn't be any problem to recoginze the material.But ...the voted people divided into two parts mostly.One group stated that it was a wooden model and the second one that a paper one.Some of our members voted for plastic,metal and other ones for other materials.
My friends the model was made of paper!

Congratulations for these who have chosen the material.You have a good intuition.

The model has been made by Janusz Targos and all the pic here were taken also by him.The basis for the model was Military Model no.1/99 1:33 scale paper kit of well-known Haliński publication.Unfortunately the model was issued on a chalky-paper which is shiny and doesn't absorb cyanoacrylic glues what was very important for technology.So the modeller has re-drown all parts on card sheets.Because the front part of the model was simply rather it was scratch-bulit,I mean a spinner,an engine cowling and engine.Then the main parts of the model were assembled and dripped with Supr Glue.It allowed him to use sandpapers to make all parts smooth,all places where these parts were put together become unvisible.The next step was painting with a primer Motip (three coats) and then sanding again.These three layers of the paint let him to make megative panel lines with a thin needle.Having the main structure finished he cut off ailerons,the rudder,elevators and other covered in reality with fabric parts.For making the fabric covering the modeller used regular adhesive paper tape for painters.The uploaded below pic can explain this better than me.When the pieces of the tape were removed the surfaces of these elements started looking like the fabric covered.The camo pattern was made with paints and an airbrush and it was exactly like the one offered in the kit.
Here two links to sites with the same model standard made.

Bf-109E by Halinski
Card Modeling Resources Links and News

To sum up. The model took part in the Fifth Paper Model Competition and took the First place in S1 category with 94 points per possible 100 points.
Unfortunately Janusz Targos was disqualified and accused of using an Airfix plastic kit for the competition.Besides he was said that swastics weren't allowed and etc...:shock:
I hope the guy is well now and working on the next cool model.

The end. :wave: to all.

All pics - the source: "Kartonowy Fan" magazine no.6/2002

Attachments

• fabric covering.jpg
    fabric covering.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 83

Users who are viewing this thread

Back