Bf109F (Another Tiger Cute Model)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow... thanks for all of the suggestions! Some I will do (i.e. wing tips) and others, I will NOT (radiators, IP). Not that you guys aren't right but I gotta pick my battles and if the end result kinda looks like a 109F, then I'll consider it a success. I'm battling with the spinner right now. It is approximately the same size as a 1/48 spinner and is undersized. Makes the plane look like an Avia S-199. I have a spare resin spinner from my 109G-10 Erla build that I might try to adapt.

Ok... so here is some more work on the Bf109F. First a look at the resin spinner from the conversion kit. I gouged a panel line around the middle and added some rivets. The cannon opening is a little on the big side so I decided to chop it off.
IMG_2282_zps7gbdmh7s.jpg

This made it look better but I still have an issue with the dimensions of the spinner. It is not distorted and is very similar in size and shape to a 1/48 spinner. When mounted, there is a very noticeable step between the fuselage and the spinner.
IMG_2284_zpsnpvyeoun.jpg

I remembered that I had a resin 1/32 spinner from Alley Cat that I didn't use on my 109G-10 Erla build. What if I chopped if in the middle?
IMG_2286_zpsdjjoqkbb.jpg

IMG_2287_zpsw5mbzbml.jpg

You can see the difference in size between the two. The bigger one is a better fit for the 109F conversion in my opinion since it reduces the step between the fuselage and the spinner. I cut out the openings for the prop blades with an x-acto. All I have to figure out is how to attach the prop blades and how to mount the spinner to the plane.
IMG_2288_zpsuf6b5n1n.jpg

The modifications continue with the cowl guns. I've removed the molded barrels, cleaned up the gun troughs and added 1/48 gun barrels from the spares box.
IMG_2285_zpsrpzmuway.jpg

The square wing tips were cut off and replaced with pieces of sheet styrene scraped and shaped to mimic the round wing tips found on the later 109's.
IMG_2289_zpsb0zapnr9.jpg

IMG_2291_zpshzwbtkzj.jpg

Next, I'll be taking a look at the cockpit.

Thanks for checking in and commenting on this build. I know its a bit strange... trying to accuratize a caricature... but I assure you that I'm not striving for accuracy. I'm just trying to give the "impression" of a Model F versus Model E.

I've been working on the cockpit the past couple of days. Although the cockpit will be fully enclosed by the canopy, the width of the cockpit space makes viewing from the outside easier so I thought I should spruce up the cockpit sides, which are empty. I salvaged some cockpit sidewalls from the spares box (1/48 109K-4 for the starboard side and 1/48 G.55S for the port side, trimmed them to appropriate sides and glued them into place. Again, going for the impression not accuracy.
IMG_2296_zpssejobdfb.jpg

After some painting and a dark pastel wash, the cockpit sides are done.
IMG_2321_zpsukhavq9g.jpg

The resin seat from the conversion set was used since it came with molded harnesses.
IMG_2323_zpslcakavow.jpg

I was mistaken about the instrument panel. I had assumed that the kit provided molded details on the instrument panel like the P-40 model but it is simply a flat surface with the exception of a square bump that is supposed to represent the gunsight. So the only available options are the decal or the sticker. I chose the decal. Hard to see but I put in drops of Future onto the instrument dials. Decals are the least preferred way to do instrument panels and you can see why... so flat!
IMG_2322_zpszzecmgmi.jpg

I was going to scratch build a gun sight but I don't think I'm going to bother. Next step will be to assemble the cockpit components, insert them into the fuselage and glue the fuselage sides together.

Couldn't leave it alone... I added a gunsight to the instrument panel after all! It's a Quickboost 1/32 Revi 16B that I got from my spares box. The reflector glass is cut from clear plastic. The edges of the rear glass have been painted clear bluish green.
IMG_2324-1_zpsoat5a3rk.jpg

IMG_2326-1_zpspplnjpxb.jpg

Also added the yellow fuel line on the starboard cockpit sidewall using a piece of lead wire.
IMG_2328_zpsz3hc7v8r.jpg

Cockpit in place, the fuselage sides can now be put together.
IMG_2329_zpskwcaezcr.jpg

If you look closely, you can see that the reflector glass pieces have been knocked off. This is one mistake that I seem to repeat with each and every build. Luckily, I was able to find both pieces and set them aside.
IMG_2332_zps7k225h52.jpg

After a dip in Future to help clarity, I masked the one-piece canopy. Here is a quick and easy way of masking clear pieces that have well defined canopy frames. I cover a panel with Tamiya tape. I line up the edge of tape to one of the canopy frames so that I don't have to cut all of the frames. For this reason, you may want to select the longest canopy frame or perhaps the one with the weakest frame line.
IMG_2332_zps7k225h52.jpg

After the tape has been lined up, burnish the other frames using the tip of a pencil. I use a mechanical pencil for this. This will push the tape into the recess of the frame AND provide a visual line to help guide the cut.
IMG_2333_zpsgyzlqvyv.jpg

Using a fresh x-acto blade, you carefully cut along the pencil lines.
IMG_2334_zpsbsjgy4mf.jpg

Here is canopy with the masking completed. I am leaving the little triangular window on the starboard side unmasked to represent the metal panel.
IMG_2335_zpstwrn0odu.jpg

Thanks guys! After some putty work on the fuselage seams, I've re-attached the reflector glass pieces on the gunsight and pushed the canopy into place. The white circular piece in front is a backplate for the spinner. Based on pre-fitting, I've scooped out areas in the backplate to accomodate the prop bases. The backplate will fit into the spinner and will not be visible from the side. The cannon barrels have been glued into place as well.
IMG_2347_zpsgktcurj7.jpg

The wings and tail planes are attached. Fit is pretty good and after some minor filler on the bottom, she'll be ready for some paint.
IMG_2348_zpszydkf1k2.jpg

IMG_2349_zpsoqigjjpl.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back