Bf109F (Another Tiger Cute Model)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! Painting continues on the 109F as I'm stalled on my MiG. The landing gear and drop tank have been painted. I'll probably do some weathering on the tank.
IMG_2353_zpsvrfol6kd.jpg

IMG_2376_zpsgdwnk3ku.jpg

Prior to painting the aircraft, I first sprayed the clear parts in dark grey to match the cockpit interior.
IMG_2350_zpsn7lkoslw.jpg

After my customary preshading, the camo colors are applied.
IMG_2359_zpsrmquq5nf.jpg

The white areas are then masked off and sprayed. At this point, I considered a few things. First, I didn't quite like how the white areas turned out. The stripe riding up on the tail is awkward and I wanted to extend the white nose area a bit. Finally, I wanted to add yellow underneath the nose. All of this would be easier to do by painting the white and yellow areas first and then masking those off prior to the camo. So I made the decision to start over.
IMG_2361_zpsii66dobo.jpg

First a coat of grey primer to even everything out. The white areas are sprayed first.
IMG_2374_zpsydmvf9u0.jpg

The white nose area is masked off and the bottom of the nose is painted yellow.
IMG_2375_zps8hyzcqpy.jpg

The yellow is masked off as well as the white fuselage stripe and wing tips. Another round of preshading goes on and then the bottom is sprayed light blue.
IMG_2377_zpsyq2l3mws.jpg

IMG_2378_zpsu3gdy4i8.jpg

The bottom gets masked off and the top brown gets applied. All of the masking is then removed.
IMG_2379_zpsfx1t4ag4.jpg

IMG_2380_zpsawamjvfy.jpg

I sprayed some of the panels in a lighter brown as a weathering effect. At this point, I've decided to spray the yellow "14" using masks that I cut from frisket paper. I measured the location of the numerals to leave room for the fuselage crosses.
IMG_2381_zpsgxxfv7t3.jpg

The numerals turned out ok.
IMG_2382_zpsp0w5dix9.jpg

With the numerals done, I gave the model a coat of clear gloss. Decals will go on next.
IMG_2383_zpsmlgb8ib6.jpg

IMG_2384_zpswy9lhvvm.jpg

Down the home stretch on this wee Bf109.

A couple of details that need to be completed. First is the 1/32 resin spinner that has been chopped to fit. There is no prop hub... the prop blades have simply been glued into the openings in the spinner.
IMG_2392_zpssa1qwhbm.jpg

Minor correction to the wheels. The hubs are painted black instead of RLM02.
IMG_2394_zpsiulcurdo.jpg

The tropical filter from the resin conversion kit is the final detail.
IMG_2395_zpsyy6akgnl.jpg

The decals are applied onto the glossy model.
IMG_2385_zpsaku8kiip.jpg

IMG_2386_zpsabewinlz.jpg

IMG_2387_zpsauwbyo8j.jpg

A panel wash is applied.
IMG_2389_zpso9a7vien.jpg

IMG_2390_zpscascc3kc.jpg

A flat coat and some weathering has been applied. I just have to stick on the last bits and this one is finished.
IMG_2396_zpshucvigrg.jpg

Thanks guys! It was another fun diversion and just what I needed to get the MiG back on track. Geo... I still haven't received the JG27 insignias but its an easy add. I've used the oil filtering technique on a couple of these Cute planes now and still haven't dialed that in. The outcome on this one was less than satisfactory as the yellow is way too obtrusive.

So Glad I found your posts here John.
Beautiful build and I especially like the photo of it sitting with it's bigger brother in the display case.

Look forward to seeing more in the future.

Dan

Thank everyone!
So Glad I found your posts here John.
Beautiful build and I especially like the photo of it sitting with it's bigger brother in the display case.

Look forward to seeing more in the future.

Dan

Hey Dan! Welcome to WW2Aircraft.net! This is where I "reside" when it comes to online builds Great group of guys here and I highly recommend checking out and participating in the Group Builds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back