Bored Troops Iraq

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's a true story.

My Great-Uncle Leldon who was with the 101st Airborne during WWII told me that they were stationed in town with a river in between. On the other side of the river was where the Germans were.

Now for those of you who have seen Band of Brothers, the episodes where they finished Bastogne and were in that town with the river in between the Americans and Germans, that was exactly what it was like except this story takes place in 1945.

Anyway, my Great Uncle's friend wanted to say that he shot at some Germans back to his family and friends back home. So one day they were out there when they saw these 3 Germans coming out of a ruined building on the other side of the river.

Well, my great uncle's friend fired of some rounds with his M1 Garand toward the Germans. They ran for it. A couple of seconds later, mortar fired opened up and started blasting the side of the river that they were on!

They all ran and took cover from what they did. My Great Uncle asked his friend, "Was it worth shooting and missing those Germans so that mortars started firing?!" His friend replied, "It was one hell of a show if you ask me, besides, those germans ran out of Mortar ammo!"

A couple of days later the Germans began to surrender. Their squad leader asked if they had anything to do with the gunshots. Well just as he said that this German walks by with his hands up, recognizes my Uncle's friend and makes a laugh.

My great uncle told me that during that time it may not have seen funny but when you look back at it and since nobody got killed, its a funny situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back