Did M4 Carbine Fail U.S. Troops During Afghanistan Assault?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

We'll be stuck with the M4 or at best the M16 forever, the 5.56 too. This military is only interested in spending money on expensive toys, not the basics.

The G36 XM8 are both more expensive to manufacture than either the M4 or M16, and were turned down by the military because of this. But this was despite the fact that the G36 XM8 both displayed far superior performance than any AR15 design.

IMO the military should cough up the extra money and buy a rifle following the design of the G36 and chamber it in the 6.8mm round. That is what our boys need.

Some reading on the 6.8mm SPC round: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.8_mm_Remington_SPC

Last edited:
The G36 XM8 are both more expensive to manufacture than either the M4 or M16, and were turned down by the military because of this. But this was despite the fact that the G36 XM8 both displayed far superior performance than any AR15 design.

IMO the military should cough up the extra money and buy a rifle following the design of the G36 and chamber it in the 6.8mm round. That is what our boys need.

Some reading on the 6.8mm SPC round: 6.8 mm Remington SPC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Appreciate the link, but guns are my thing, I know the ballistics inside and out. I agree with you entirely, but the fact is that we will not do it, no matter how much we should.

Appreciate the link, but guns are my thing, I know the ballistics inside and out. I agree with you entirely, but the fact is that we will not do it, no matter how much we should.

Which is sad as heck. I truly believe that decisions such as these should be voted on within the military after a cost assessment has been made. It shouldn't be left up to some nimwit politician sitting at his desk eating cake whilst watching the news on CNN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back