Bottisham Airfield Museum Open Day 17th October 2010

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jasonp51d

Recruit
Sep 29, 2010
Cambridgeshire
www.361fg.com
We are pleased to announce the formal opening of Bottisham Airfield Museum on Sunday 17th October between 10.30am-4pm.

Bottisham was the home to various RAF, Belgian and USAAF units during WW2 and is perhaps most famously associated with 361st FG, the "Yellowjackets."

Attractions on the day will include: -

- A flyover from a Fokker DR1 (weather serviceability allowing)
- Military vechicles
- Re-enactors
- Militaria stalls
- Airfield tours
- A collection of lovely A-2 flying jackets

The museum is one of the airfield buildings in Bottisham village. Bottisham is approximately 10 minutes drive from Cambridge. A map can be found at: -

crystal structures, CB25 9EA - Google Maps

For more information please email [email protected]

Best regards

Jason
361st FG - Home Page

Thanks Jason, great to see a new museum on the site! Might not make it for the opening, but will certainly visit when I 'come south' to Duxford again.
Can you send me a PM please, I'm working on something which would be ideal for the museum.

Wow !. That was a very busy, very successful day. Top marks to Jason and the crew for both organising the event and for collecting all the memorabilia and setting up the museum.

Got up at stupid o'clock to load up and then drive the 150 miles to Bottisham. 3 hours later, one puncture on the trailer on the motorway, and a very quick 'pit stop' got to the Museum site.

And then it got busy. Nope, actually it got extremely busy !. The museum site is a bit like 'The Secret Garden'. Small (at the moment) but hoping to expand.....and I thought I'd entered a time warp. More Military vehicles than you possibly shake a stick at, Military enactors / living history, period music, dancing on the grass, vehicle tours around the airfield and the museum itself. There where a couple of fly-overs by a very nice looking Fokker triplane, and then later on a few circuits by a Tiger Moth. Large scale RC planes, and some dead s*xy looking little paratrooper bikes.

Never stopped talking from the moment I got there to moment I left. Tired ?...too righty. Had some very intersting conversations with some of the visitors /guests.
The Gentleman who was evacuated from London to Bottisham....couldn't believe all the planes overhead when he got here.
The Gentleman who witnessed the crash overhead between the 78th FG Thunderbolt and a 361st FG Mustang.
The Gentleman who showed me a 'Trench-art' spitfire that he'd brought from the local blacksmith for the princly sum of 10 pence back in '44 (that he'd borrowed from his mum on the understanding he paid her back from his paper round money.
The Lady who was as mad about the '51 as I was, and her beloved Morris Minor and collection of old bycyles...I tell ya, the list goes on and on !!!
All this mixed with period uniforms !.

Rightyho, heres a few piccies. I could really have done with the truck with the four point fifties on its back for the return trip. Traffic was a bl**dy nightmare, took over four hours to get home. Absolutely knackered.
There where around 6 or 7 Jeeps, the first of the 6 wheeler vehicles (sorry, not upto speed with types!) is one of only 16 in the UK....and then another one turned up !.

Not many piccies as I only managed a very quick 5 walk around during the day.

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 177
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 190
  • w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 178
  • w4.jpg
    w4.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 168
  • w5.jpg
    w5.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 177
  • w6.jpg
    w6.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 181
  • w7.jpg
    w7.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 177
  • w8.jpg
    w8.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 177
  • w9.jpg
    w9.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 169
  • w10.jpg
    w10.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 167
  • w11.jpg
    w11.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 167
  • w12.jpg
    w12.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 178
  • w13.jpg
    w13.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 168
  • w14.jpg
    w14.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 194
  • w15.jpg
    w15.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 158
  • w16.jpg
    w16.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 166
  • w17.jpg
    w17.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 189
  • w18.jpg
    w18.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 162
  • w19.jpg
    w19.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 173
  • w20.jpg
    w20.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 172
  • w21.jpg
    w21.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 170
  • w22.jpg
    w22.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 183
  • w23.jpg
    w23.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Thanks guys, yup, it was a real treat. Hoping that Jason and the crew do a similar event on a yearly basis, sort of an open day type of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back