Bougainville

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Graeme

1st Sergeant
May 31, 2007
Some images of Bougainville 1945-6. My father was in the Army at the time involved in 'mopping up' operations.

YES!!!!!!!!! EXCELLENT PICTURES.

Bougainville was relatively unknown part of the war in the Pacific.

After Macarthur began his advance up New Guinea, this island lost its strategic significance.

What's the type of the aircraft wreck lying in the water? (first image, top left) Japanese flying boat Mavis or Emily ?

YES!!!!!!!!! EXCELLENT PICTURES.

Bougainville was relatively unknown part of the war in the Pacific.

After Macarthur began his advance up New Guinea, this island lost its strategic significance.

And from what I understand the fighting there was worse than on the more famous Guadalcanal and the same was true of New Georgia.

And from what I understand the fighting there was worse than on the more famous Guadalcanal and the same was true of New Georgia.

Very true.

Most people don't realize that the fight for New Georgia produced more ground casualties than at Guadalcanal. Here the Japanese were dug in and on the defensive from the beginning. It was a harbinger of things to come.

Very true.

Most people don't realize that the fight for New Georgia produced more ground casualties than at Guadalcanal. Here the Japanese were dug in and on the defensive from the beginning. It was a harbinger of things to come.

When the subject of the worst places to have fought comes up New Guinea is often mentioned and the eastern front for Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back