Brasil buys the Gripen

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glider

Captain
Apr 23, 2005
Lincolnshire
I notice that Brasil have ordered the Gripen over the F15 and Rafael. The recent problems with security wouldn't have helped the F15 but I am surprised that the Gripen beat the Rafale which was considered to be the front runner with the F15. I wonder if this will impact the Indian order for the Rafale which has yet to be finalised, as I admit I would be nervous about being the only export user of an aircraft.

With the Gripen option being chosen by Brasil, I doubt it'd be a problem as the SAAB's come from a long and capable family history going back to the Draken - which was IIRC the first completely European designed and built Mach one able aircraft in service.
As to the Indian Rafale, that still has a strong choice as they're a carrier capable design...

The Brazilians seem to have worked out an all encompassing deal for the 'Gripen' which gives them better value for money than the competitors. According to the Brazilian defence minister....

"The choice took into account performance, technology transfer and cost, not only for acquisition but also for maintenance. The decision was based on the best balance of those factors."

Money talks.....and we know what the other does :)

Cheers

Steve

Well done SAAB and the Gripen team!
True, the Gripen NG, or later E/F, is an amazing aircraft...think it has longer and wider fuselage, more hardpoints, supercruise (Mach 1.3), helmetdisplay, a new Passive Airborne Warning System (PAWS-2), same engine as F-18E/F, which Volvo helped design, longer range, think they managed to add almost 50% more fuel, there's also rumors floating about, that Gripens NG's/E/F aerodynamic performance is being better than originally expected, less wingload etc., etc.

Yes Jan, I think so. Don't get me wrong, I think the F35 is the better aircraft, but I think the Grippen gives us more value per euro. The F35 has become so expensive that we'll only be able to afford 30 of them. It's been calculated because of maintenance and duties abroad, it leaves us only two aircraft at any time ready to defend our airspace. Doesn't sound very safe to me.

Yes Jan, I think so. Don't get me wrong, I think the F35 is the better aircraft, but I think the Grippen gives us more value per euro. The F35 has become so expensive that we'll only be able to afford 30 of them. It's been calculated because of maintenance and duties abroad, it leaves us only two aircraft at any time ready to defend our airspace. Doesn't sound very safe to me.

Two!? :shock:

There comes a point when you don't need a $500 fly swatter when a $1 one will kill 99% of the flies.

Or a 20p Sun!

I sincerely hope that the brazilians get the real combat aircraft for their money and no a high priced flying gadget with software or armament limitation due to some sneaky politicians up north.

gripen-ng-2.png

Last edited:
I sincerely hope that the brazilians get the real combat aircraft for their money and no a high priced flying gadget with software or armament limitation due to some sneaky politicians up north.

gripen-ng-2.png

Thats precisely what they are likley to get from SAAB, which in many ways is a Euro company not dissimilar to Kockums. most Europeans arms companies cant be trusted. they are dominated by political agendas from top to bottom. British companies are slightly better, but not much.

Brazil would have been better to wait for the F-35, even if it was overpriced. I gurantee that at some point, they will realize they have made a mistake.

Dont buy European arms. period.

Seem to have been working alright with SAAB so far.... ;) :lol:

Wonder why the Viggen never sold.
love the Viggen I do.
odd. The Swedes only allowed the Gripen coz it cheap and small and lightweight.
This new Gripen is big style.

Thats precisely what they are likley to get from SAAB, which in many ways is a Euro company not dissimilar to Kockums. most Europeans arms companies cant be trusted. they are dominated by political agendas from top to bottom. British companies are slightly better, but not much.

Brazil would have been better to wait for the F-35, even if it was overpriced. I gurantee that at some point, they will realize they have made a mistake.

Dont buy European arms. period.

The swedish part is not the one that worries me, is the british part and the Gripen has a lot of made in Britain pieces. With the excuse that the Brazilian Goverment could transfer some of the aircraft technology to friendly countries.... the Gripen NG might end up being a overpriced 1980s fighter.

That is just a nasty looking picture in a very good way,wonder at what cost performance with all it's carrying or is that a fantasy configuration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back