Brasil buys the Gripen

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Then the JAS 39E/F, would be one h*lluva advanced 'overpriced 80's fighter', if you look what their NG airframe (future E/F) has, or can do and they're constantly develop it....
Much like in the case of the F-18 E/F Superhornet, bigger this, that, longer range than they expected, to mention one, another super cruise at Mach 1.2 or if it was 1.3....
Used to work for a company in Sweden, that did a lot of work for and with the Gripen team.
As you already know, F-18 E/F's engine, Volvo helped develop General Electric F404, now F414-GE-400 and it seems to be a good engine....
Have to say, they've done good, 50% more fuel, lower fuel consumption, longer range, more hardpoints etc., etc...not bad for a '80's overpriced fighter...' ;) :lol:

Besides, how many JAS 39 E/F do you get for a F-35?

The F-35 is probably outdated now as well! :lol:

The F-35 is a great aircraft but I dont even consider it for the South American scenario, the adquisition cost is elevated even for healthier economies than us or the carioca neighbour. Particulary if i was the man making the dessisions in Brazil I would pick the Su-35 but I understand that is a two engine plane and 2 engines means the double of items for maintenance compared with the swedish fighter.

most Europeans arms companies cant be trusted. they are dominated by political agendas from top to bottom.

Oh come on parisfal, let's not be silly about this.
Every major high-tech arms sale is "dominated by political agendas from top to bottom".
It's very silly to imagine otherwise with anyone.

Dont buy European arms. period.

Given that European arms make up a very large chunk of global sales I doubt too many are listening.

Besides, how many JAS 39 E/F do you get for a F-35?

The F-35 is probably outdated now as well! :lol:
As I said, we could buy more than twice the amount of the J35 for the same money. And we could have them now. I agree with your last statement. By the time they finished and deliver the first production aircraft, the J35 is outdated like the Grippen. Difference is that we would have been able to use the Grippen for many years by that time.

At the airforce centenial we had this flying while the J35 was still a plywood model on the ground:
20130626215452-ebad6505-me.jpg

SAAB SELECTS AEL SISTEMAS AS NEW GRIPEN SUPPLIER IN BRAZIL

25 February 2015

Defence and security company Saab has selected AEL Sistemas (AEL) as a new supplier for the Gripen NG in Brazil. AEL will provide the wide area display (WAD) and the head-up display (HUD), which will be integrated in the Gripen NG for Brazil as part of the F-X2 contract. The WAD and HUD development programme commenced in January 2015. Saab and AEL have also signed a contract for transfer of technology.

The new avionics systems programme will run over four years and includes development, integration and production work to be performed in Porto Alegre. System integration work will be undertaken by Saab and Embraer.

The WAD for Brazil's Gripen NG aircraft is a single intelligent and full-redundant multi-purpose display system, full-colour, large-screen (19 x 8 in) with continuous image presentation and the state-of-the-art touch-screen controls capability. It is the primary source of all flight and mission information in the cockpit.

AEL will also develop a new HUD for Brazil's Gripen NG aircraft. The HUD provides essential flight and mission information to the pilot when looking 'heads up' out of the cockpit.

"Incorporating these advanced products from AEL into Brazil's Gripen NG further enhances the aircraft. This agreement also shows our continuing commitment to develop and produce the Gripen in close partnership with Brazilian industry," says Ulf Nilsson, head of Saab business area Aeronautics.

"We are proud of the opportunity to take part in the development process of Gripen NG and to be able to introduce the latest displays, computer and software technologies into a next generation fighter. I am sure it will further enhance the successful contribution of AEL to the Brazilian Military Forces," says Sérgio Horta, President AEL.

An extensive flight test campaign will be conducted in close co-operation with AEL at Saab's site in Linköping, Sweden, to demonstrate and validate the new equipment.

The transfer of technology contract with AEL will focus on further development of the human machine interface (HMI) for advanced fighters, along with workshops for avionics maintenance. Activity under this contract will commence in the second half of 2015 at Saab in Linköping and will include theoretical courses and on-the-job-training.

.....and..

Two Swedish delegations have recently visited the Brazilian aircraft carrier Sao Paulo in support of plans to develop a naval version of the JAS 39E/F Gripen fighter. A government team toured the ship in August, followed by a Saab-Embraer technical/engineering group in September.

Informally known as the Gripen M (Maritime or Marinha), the carrier-based version has been under study in parallel with the E/F since the program's early years. In 2013, in the run-up to Brazil's selection of the JAS 39E/F as its next fighter (with a contract due at year-end), Saab said that its company-funded study had brought the Gripen M to the point where it could be offered as a fixed-price development program, costing $250 million and taking five years from launch to production deliveries.

Saab and Brazil have already agreed that Embraer will lead the development of the two-seat JAS 39F, subject to the final contract, and development of the Gripen M could broaden that partnership. Ownership of an operational aircraft carrier is clearly a prerequisite for a Gripen M partner, and both India and Brazil have been approached.

Brazil's Sao Paulo carrier, formerly the French navy's Foch, has taken a long time to upgrade and restore to operational condition, but the Brazilian navy has persisted both with the ship and its current air wing, including a major upgrade of its AF-1 Skyhawk fighters with a new Elta radar and glass cockpit. One report suggests that Brazil expects the ship and its air wing to be operational in time to support security for the 2016 Olympic games in Rio de Janeiro.

Brazil's first pair of thirty-six Gripen's have arrived. Interestingly by sea. With a ferry range of 3,200 km, I would have thought they'd be flown over in a three stage run.

Brazil's first pair of thirty-six Gripen's have arrived. Interestingly by sea. With a ferry range of 3,200 km, I would have thought they'd be flown over in a three stage run.

All part of the technology transfer agreement between Saab and Brazil that will see large part of future aircraft produced in Brazil and the possibility of even more to come.

Transport by ship means no wear and tear on the aircraft and lower chance of losing any in transit. There's probably some legal advantages regarding overflights of military aircraft, too.

Transport by ship means no wear and tear on the aircraft and lower chance of losing any in transit. There's probably some legal advantages regarding overflights of military aircraft, too.
Perhaps putting the machines together will act as a bit of production. I smell a bean counter here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back