Brendan 'Paddy' Finucane Spitfire Mk Vb.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great work Gerry. A couple of very minor points; the firewall looks a bit too green for Cockpit Grey Green, but might just be the lighting conditions, and also, note that the black on the engine block and rocker covers etc was semi-matt, so a relevant clear coat will solve that.

Thanks to all who posted for continuing to look in on this build.

Great work Gerry. A couple of very minor points; the firewall looks a bit too green for Cockpit Grey Green, but might just be the lighting conditions, and also, note that the black on the engine block and rocker covers etc was semi-matt, so a relevant clear coat will solve that.

Terry, the green on the firewall came out very green in the photos, which were taken in late afternoon direct sunlight. You can see that there's even a difference in the tones between the before and after shots. I had a look again this morning in overcast conditions and it looks a lot greyer in those conditions. This is not to say I've nailed it exactly. I find it difficult to get a definitive colour ref for the interior green. I have FS 34226 as a match, but only on my computer screen and interior colour photos of Spitfire and Lancaster interiors, which would be my main refs vary greatly depending on the lighting when the photos were taken. So my interior green tends to be an 'average' of the references. As regards the finish on the engine, I had added a lot more plumbing by the time I received your post. If it's possible to hand brush a coat of satincoat on to the blacks, without causing too much disruption, I will do so.

Cheers,

Gerry

Last edited:
No problem Gerry, and I understand the problem matching the colour from photos. I'm so used to seeing, and being around that colour over the years, that I mix it automatically, until it 'looks right' !
I don't know if you use enamels, or acrylics, but whichever, if you want the exact shade, the Humbrol No. 78 matt enamel is the correct shade for Cockpit Grey Green, at full size tone. In 1/32nd scale, it can be used virtually straight from the tin, although in all scales I normally add a touch of white, just to lighten it as needed for 'scale effect'.
Even if you don't normally use enamels, a tin of No.78 in your stock can be used as a reference start point.
Hope this helps, and looking forward to the next instalment.

Thanks for that tip Terry. I don't normally use Humbrol, preferring Revell Enamels but a pot of H78 should be a good investment, even as a colour reference. I also managed to get a coat of Satin coat on the engine. It's a little more apparent in the earlier shots but looks good all over in scale size.

I finished wiring and attaching the engine and engine bearers to the firewall, added some weathering, and these are the results below. I think they're self explanatory.

Gerry

EngineFirewall1.jpg

EngineFirewall2.jpg

EngineFirewall4.jpg

EngineFirewall5.jpg

EngineFirewall3.jpg

EngineFirewall6.jpg

Then just to show how it all comes together, I positioned the engine in the airframe. It's not cemented into position yet as I need to be absolutely sure that everything fits before I join the fuselage halves. I'm hoping I might be able to display the engine if the cowling panels can be made removable, but we'll have to see.

EngineFirewall10.jpg

EngineFirewall7.jpg

EngineFirewall8.jpg

EngineFirewall9.jpg

Last edited:
I agree there, definitely the canine accoutrements! The cowling support frames look a bit odd though, more like a Mustang - too many frame sections for a Spit methinks.

Andy, Vic, Karl and Terry thanks for your continuing encouragement.

The cowling support frames look a bit odd though, more like a Mustang - too many frame sections for a Spit methinks.

I agree that the cowling frames are a bit crude. I suspect that the kit maker put them there purely to support the cowling panels and never expected them to be displayed, although why include an engine in that case? I've had a look at the cowling supports in the 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire and they're a beaut - but that kit costs about £70 more than the Hobby Boss so, I suppose, ya gets what ya pays for. Apart from the thickness, which could be improved by sanding/thinning the area that seems most inaccurate is the top bar, running along the centre length of the engine. However if this is covered by the top cowling as I intend it will be, then the remainder, apart from the thickness, doesn't look too inaccurate. We'll see what happens as the build progresses. I would hope not to have to replace it completely.

Gerry

Last edited:
I agree Gerry. If the model was displayed with all cowlings removed (on a permanent basis), then the unwanted frames could be removed, but as you say, if they're covered by the cowlings, no problem.
And I agree about the price difference! There is no doubt that the Tamiya kit is superb, but it still puzzles me how Revell can produce excellent kits such as their 32nd scale Ju88 and He111 at very reasonable and affordable prices, when Tamiya (and some others) would charge three times (or more) for a similar offering.

Thank Jerry Wayne. As I said in my last post, I'm now working on the wings. The kit comes with 4 Browning .303 machine guns with ammunition boxes and 2 Hispano 20mm cannons with ammunition drums. The top panels for all of these guns can be shown open, if desired. I intend to pose some open, probably on the port wing. However, I have some questions which have arisen in the course of the wing build which I'm hoping someone can put me straight on. On the 'B' wing were the .303 ammo boxes removable or were they integrated into the wing structure? And on the instruction sheet the landing lights are posed down. Would this be the case normally for parked Spitfires?

Must press on. I would appreciate any help with these issues.

Cheers,

Gerry

The mg ammo boxes were like the MkI and MkII, with the filled ammo boxes fitted into place from under the wing. The landing lamp would normally be retracted on the ground.

Hi guys, thought I'd better post an update of where I am on this project. I've been pfarffing about on it and changing my mind almost by the hour as to how I want to finally present it - so therefore, a lot of agonising and not a a lot of building! I think I'm now a little clearer in my own mind as to what I want. I've decided to try a simple diorama (my first) of the aircraft being armed prior to a mission. This will show off the otherwise hidden gun bays and engine - seems a pity to waste them. To this end I have invested in an Ultracast standing pilot figure (Adapting him to B. Finucane) and a PJ Productions ground crew armourer, both in 1/32 scale. Here's some shots of where the build is at the moment.

Spitfireconstructiontop.jpg

SpitfireconstructionPort.jpg

The fuselage has been successfully closed at this point, just needing a little filling in front of the cockpit - but a dusting of primer will confirm if there's anything else required. The ailerons, lower flaps, elevators and rudder are ready to be added at this stage. The main wings couldn't be attached until the wing tops were added. (That has now been done). It's my intention to leave all the cannon/gun bay covers on the port wing open and just the cannon bay the same on the starboard wing, with the port ammo drum waiting to be mounted. I'm trying to engineer the engine cowling (top and sides) so that they can be posed either in an open or closed position, without leaving gaps. Won't know if that's possible until the exhausts are attached.

SpitfireconstructionSBoard.jpg

Here's some modifications I made before the wings were closed. A. Oleo tunnels needed to be added from thin plastic card. B. The landing light bays needed to be filled in as the kit only allows for them to be in the lowered position. Plastic card was used for a base for filler. I. Brass gun barrel fairings added to the cut cannons and detail added with wire to the cannon magazines. 2.Eduard PE .303 ammunition belts added (won't be seen but I hope to show some loaded ammo boxes waiting to be installed). 3.Added some cocking and firing cables. 4. Added some details to the panel cover interiors with brass wire and drilling. 5. The gun panels are a good fit and won't need to be cemented to stay in position. 6. Added a strut that transverses the cannon bays with plastic card and also aileron cables from fuse wire.

SpitfireconstructionPortlow.jpg

I hope to display at least one side of the engine bay open like this. I have thinned the cowling support frame as much as I think I can get away with and painted the outer surface grey, as it appears in some colour photos I've found.

My next challenge is to mask for painting. i'm not sure of the best way to go about this because of all the bays that will eventually be displayed open. All suggestions welcome.

Sláinte,

Gerry

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back