Brendan 'Paddy' Finucane Spitfire Mk Vb.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wurger and Lucky. I'm away at the moment so haven't made much more progress to speak of. Darryl, appreciate your comments. I have been using your full scale cockpit build for tips on the detailing.

Cheers,

Gerry

John and Roman, thanks for your kind comments.

John, as you possibly have realised, I have been very impressed and influenced by your build of the 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire - Ioannis ''Agorastos'' Plagis, from last year and I have been aspiring to match the very high standards you set in that build.

Cheers,

Gerry

Well, I haven't made nearly as much progress on this as I thought I might. But just to show some effort, I've got the seat belts done and the fuel tank in position. As we've had some consistent sunshine here for the last few days, for the first time since March (really!) I took a few shots. I'm currently working on the Merlin, but not enough done yet to show anything. More shots when I've made a bit more progress.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 138
Thanks Andy, Wayne, Gnomey, Jerry.

Terry, I take your comment about the colour of the fuel tank. I had seen other builds use the red coating. I have some shots of the Spits in the BoB flight stripped down where they have left the tanks in natural metal. I fully appreciate that these are largely rebuilt since their service life so may not be absolutely accurate. However, I have also seen a shot of a crashed WW2 Spitfire (B/W) on the internet where part of the tank is visible through a tear in the fuselage and it appears to be in metallic or light finish. If the consensus would be more accurate to depict it as red then it's not difficult to respray it. It won't be viewable in the final build, although I hope some of the engine detail will be.

Did the red coating play any part in the self-sealing aspects of the tank?

Cheers,

Gerry

Hi Gerry. Repainting hardly seems worth it if the thing is invisible. I don't thing the red oxide had anything to do with the self-sealing feature. While not 100% sure, I believe the sealant coating was on the inside of the tank. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

I agree, it's not worth re-painting it. As far as I remember, the red colour was the self-sealer outer coating, which was a rubber-based coating, the name of which escapes me at the moment (the material, in sheet form, is still used as a back stop on small bore shooting ranges). If pierced, and then in contact with fuel, it swelled up as a reaction, thus blocking, or at least partly blocking, the puncture.
From what I remember of the BBMF aircraft, the 'silver' colour is a 'modern' protective coating, but not for sealing purposes. Note that, in line with current RAF practices, the BBMF Spitfires have the internal areas of the rear fuselage painted white, partly to disclose any leaks (internal or external) or other contamination, and partly for ease of visibility when servicing.

Thanks for your post Vic. I've been working on the engine and firewall and have made some progress, although not getting as much build time in as I'd like. Here's some 'before and after' shots.

First the firewall as it comes in the box, with a spray of interior green.

RawFirewall.jpg

Next I assembled the basic 'black' engine components from the kit and added the first of the pipes and control levers, from wires and bits from the spares box, ready for painting.

RawMerlin1.jpg

RawMerlin2.jpg

RawMerlin3.jpg

The shots below are two of the main references I have been referring to, particularly the B/W period shot, for the firewall.

Merlinengineandfirewall.jpg

Spitfire-merlin.jpg

Here is the enhanced firewall...

FinishedFirewall.jpg

...and the work done to date on assembling the Merlin 45.

PaintedMerlin1.jpg

PaintedMerlin2.jpg

PaintedMerlin3.jpg

PaintedMerlin4.jpg

PaintedMerlin5.jpg

The next task is to connect the engine to the firewall with the engine bearers, then see how much more plumbing I can add to connect both together, while making sure the completed assembly will still fit in the engine bay. I'll post some more shots when I get to that stage.

Cheers,

Gerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back