Bristol Bombay 117 Squadron RAF

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nickbert_81

Airman
Nov 16, 2011
Perth, Australia
Hi All,

My grandfather flew with the 117 Squadron RAF during 1941/1942

These are some pictures of Bristol Bombays in his collections.

HNLB002 - Bombay.jpg

Bombay L5856 - Force Landed 7th - 9th of August

HNLB022 - Bombay.jpg

No Markings

HNLB023 - Bombay.jpg

Bombay "C" on the left, Bombay "A" on the right.

1. Does anyone know how I can find out what letter markings Bombay L5856 would of had?
2. Does anyone know how to find out what L5XXX number "C" "A" Bombay Aircraft would have been?
3. Can anyone tell me the colour scheme used on these airplanes?

Regards

Nick

Firstly those are very interesting pictures of a relatively uncommon type so thanks for sharing them.

For the first two questions, the 117 Squadron ORB might help and may be held at Kew.

The four Bombays operated by 117 Squadron were ex 216 Squadron so it is possible that Squadrons ORB might help with the same caveats.

As 216 Squadron had been in the Middle East for some time when those aircraft were transferred to 117 Squadron I suspect that they were in some version of desert camouflage but I hesitate to commit myself. I will have a check and see if I can turn up anything definite.

Steve

My Dad also flew with 117 Squadron (Wireless Op / Air Gunner) for a relatively short period, Sep '41 - Feb '42. (onto 108sqd then 37sqd) I've been searching for years for some photo's of the Squadron's Bombays, Thanks a million for sharing them, it's very much appreciated

Colin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back