Buchons, Spits, Bearcats, and a real Pilot

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I usually just listen strange as that might seem

Attachments

• IMG_0237_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0237_1_1.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 130
Chingachgook,

Reading your last response to me it is clear that it is not me who is biased, its you. Otherwise you wouldn't have gone on the offensive like that, you're obviously a hardcore Spitfire fan. Now if I were you, being new here and all, I'd cut that tone you've got going rather quickly.

Also before you played with the info on Skip Holm's own website and posted it here, the data you presented is originally for a G-6 NOT a G-2 ! - Making stuff up is also a clear sign of strong bias !

Also what makes YOU believe Hinton flies the 109 regularly ???

And about the Spitfire pilots, read Pierre Clostermann's "The Big Show":

"I tried to fire on a '109' that I spotted in the chaos. Not possible, I couldn't get the correct angle. My plane juddered on the edge of a stall. It was comforting that the Spitfire turned better than the '109'! Certainly at high speed - but not at low speed."

PS: The 109E has triggy slat-functioning, so I'd understand why nobody would want to hirl a 60 year old version of it round in the air for fun.

The Bucheron was a bad attempt at copying the Bf-109G. The Spanish were waiting on the DB engines and they never recieved them so they had to install the Merlins and therefore had to redesign the aircraft and all of this including the engine changed the way the aircraft handeled. As I said all along the Bucheron is not a 109.

Good postings there though Chingachgook.

Sort of. You actually missed a bit - the first intended alternative was the Spanish-built Hispano-Suiza HS 12Z 89, creating the Ha1109-J1L. These engines were finally not available in large enough numbers - it was 1951! - and were replaced by French HS 12Z 17 engines. The new aircraft became the HA1109-K or K1L, depending on the armament fit; the K1L carried 20mm cannon in the wings, and was "plumbed" for rockets.

However, the engine did not live up to expectations, and in 1953 it was decided to fit Rolls-Royce Merlins, usually driving a four-blade Rotol airscrew. This was the definitive version, the Ha1112-M1L, used by the Spanish Air Force under the designation of C.4K.

The final unit flying the Buchon disbanded in 1965.

It is deliciously ironic to think that the two most famous post-war emanations of the Bf109 ended up, on the one hand, with its arch-rival's engine, and on the other hand, flying under the insignia of the Star of David!

It is deliciously ironic to think that the two most famous post-war emanations of the Bf109 ended up, on the one hand, with its arch-rival's engine, and on the other hand, flying under the insignia of the Star of David!

It is a piece of delicious irony.

FlyboyJ,

If you do talk to Hinton could you ask him if he flew the David Price Bf-109E? (now Russell Group) I think he did but I could be wrong on that. His opinion on that plane would be of great value to me.

Hinton also flew Glacier Girl (1st flight). I never got to ask about that...

Lastly, Hinton could tell us who flew the OTHER Buchon in the Pearl Harbor film - that pilots opinion would be interesting too.

THANK YOU!

I got to Chino on Friday but didn't see anyone at the museum, (the weather was real bad in the morning). Off subject - there was a B-17 flying around later in the day - I was there to do some work on an L-39. I also got to fly around in a Gulfstream G II.

Attachments

• L-39.JPG
    L-39.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 109
  • B-17.JPG
    B-17.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 101
Too much money and no thrill. I'd rather just look. I've flown a 172 and full motion simulators up and back for 737 and 767. Not my bag. But I'll watch them and work on them all day long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back