Builder's Plan USS Yorktown c.1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Check out the Catapult tracks on the hangar deck! The go port and Starboard. I recall seeing a Hollywood depiction of a launch from the hangar deck in the film Wing and a Prayer. When the formerly medically grounded pilot Cookie Cunningham makes a suicide plunge into a torpedo to save Carrier X proving to all that his heroic downing of the Zero at Pearl Harbor was no accident. Right....

Last edited:
What a find!! I'm a mechanical designer, and I LOVE stuff like this!!! Thank you!!!

Sigh.

Another website that's gonna consume time........

Last edited:
I worked my way through college drafting so seeing these old hand lettered drawings is a thrill. The captain and the admiral lived pretty good on these ships judging from their quarters. I also see why, when a ship is hit, the sea is covered with oil. Nice find.

Thanks

if memory serves me right the catapults were for scout plane launches. i also believe they were removed late in the war or right after as they were seldom if ever used.

was 1 h4a and only the Yorktown, Intrepid, Hornet, Bunker Hill, Wasp had them installed.

the enterprise had 2 h mkii hanger deck catapults, they were removed during the 1943 refit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back