Butt-ugly airplanes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Look at the fuselage. Its a bloody square box. Most of the egdes are straight. The tail, same goes for that.

I think the Lancaster is very much a Love-Hate plane in terms of styling. Im in the Hate camp as you know...I like the plane though 8)

Lightning Guy said:
Here are what some of the other countries around the world were trying to do while Kelly Johnson was designing the P-38. The first is Holland's Fokker D.XXIII - a novel concept for the times, but poorly refined, under-powered, and using a very poor airfoil. The second is Gloster's F.9/37 which was the absolute contemporary of the P-38. It certainly never had the looks of the Lightning.

LOL

Then you are forgetting about the Fokker G.1, which was allready available in 1936. Even before the FW-189.

You just have to admit that the P-38 was a good copy with the techniques learned from the G.1 that was tested by the RAF and other things learned in the years after that. And still it took until the J version to get a succesfull fighter. The first series had a lot of serious problems, where the Fokker G.1 was known as the secondbest allied fighter in 1940 (after the Spitfire) 8)

Most of the Early WW2 Bombers look to be built by someone who was at home making boxes. A lot of them seem to look very rectangular and not at all like a cylinder, which is what the B-29 looks more like to me.

Maybe the Russian Plane is being hidden, to prevent its own side mistaking it for a target plane. It is ugly enough after all. What pilot wouldn't want to have a go at it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back