Butt-ugly airplanes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Lancaster is a development of the Mancester II but it is not the Manchester bomber by itself

The last 100 Manchester airframes were converted to Lancasters on the production line.

The sole major difference was increased wing span, 4 RR Merlin engines, and an extra fuel tank in the extra wing space.

I found this:

flettner_kolibri_15.jpg

Sure is ugly

What's that, looks like a autogiro or something.

Incidently the Avro Manchester I was a biplane bomber developed near the end of WWI but never saw production. That is why most people forget that the Avro Manchester that developed into the Lancaster was the Avro Manchester II.

Not quite so simple. The Manchester dynasty is complex but has a repetitive theme. The Avro Type 533 Manchester of 1918 vintage was built in two versions. The Manchester Mk I and the Type533A Manchester MkII . Oddly the Mk I was the one intended for production. The Manchester MkIII airframe was built but remained engineless. Now move forward to1939. The Avro Type 679 Manchester of 1939 was built in two versions as well, the Manchester Mk I and the Manchester Mk IA. There was a projected Manchester MkII designed to take Centaraus or Sabre engines, but never built. Next, came the 4-engined Manchester III, which eventually became the Avro Lancaster B.Mk I prototype.
Courtesy of Peter Lewis's 'The British Bomber since 1914'.

ok who in gods name even thought these would A: even thought of being made,B: that they would actually be flown and C: that they could make them war planes

Whoever designed them... Sometimes wartime urgency yields amazing airplanes... other times OUCH!!!

But I agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back