C-130 crash in Iraq FUBAR

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Excuse me I meant flying in C-130's. I have never flown one but have ridden as a passenger on several occasions in them. I dont like them at all.

I agree, Adler. While they are reliable and always got me where I was going, they are noisy and cold. The web seats start to cut into your butt in a relatively short time. I usually folded up the seat and laid on the floor wrapped up in my field jacket.

One time quite a few years ago 100 of us were stuffed into one of those things in our dress uniforms, for a flight from Victoria to Ottawa. Bad enough to be crowded in there for a long flight like that, but in our dress uniforms?!
We literally slept on each other. There wasn't room for anything else. If you had to piss you did it pretty much where you sat, into an old bottle. If you had to do more, God help ya!

So we arrived in Ottawa looking like shit, had all the uniforms sent out for dry-cleaning, eventually got around to doing the honour guard we'd been sent to do, and then back on to another Herc for the return flight.

I was still pretty new to the mob then, and I remember thinking: "This is what I joined the Navy for?!"

Yeah in Iraq they would cram about 100 into the very front of the plane in 4 rows sitting like sardines in a can and then the back was crammed with pallets of cargo. It was not confy at all.

That was a plane from my base, and I remember how crazy everyone was when it happened. Thought it was classified, but I guess not lol!!!

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Yeah in Iraq they would cram about 100 into the very front of the plane in 4 rows sitting like sardines in a can and then the back was crammed with pallets of cargo. It was not confy at all.

Yep, I know what thats like. Done that from one end of Australia to the other a couple of times in that same layout! Not fun at all.

2W151gunship said:
That was a plane from my base, and I remember how crazy everyone was when it happened. Thought it was classified, but I guess not lol!!!

I got the shots from a buddy of mine. Usually, if he sends me sensitive stuff, he tells me to keep it under wraps. He didn't say anything about this one, so I figured it was safe. Wasn't long before I saw them all over the place either.

I think this is a sign of where someone hasn't been filing the proper reports. There obviously has been some glitch which meant that there was no notification on the charts about the work, no signals out to warn incoming pilots, also what about the control tower at the airport? Did that Control Tower know of the works and fail to pass on the necessary information? There are so many angles that an inquiry into something like this has to consider. I am assuming that it is normal standard practice for the Hercules when coming in to call the Control Tower and get information on where to land etc. This questions the competence of the Control Tower staff as well in failing to pass on the information that Simpleton Simon would have thought to be relevent to a pilot coming in to land.

HealzDevo said:
I think this is a sign of where someone hasn't been filing the proper reports. There obviously has been some glitch which meant that there was no notification on the charts about the work, no signals out to warn incoming pilots, also what about the control tower at the airport? Did that Control Tower know of the works and fail to pass on the necessary information? There are so many angles that an inquiry into something like this has to consider. I am assuming that it is normal standard practice for the Hercules when coming in to call the Control Tower and get information on where to land etc. This questions the competence of the Control Tower staff as well in failing to pass on the information that Simpleton Simon would have thought to be relevent to a pilot coming in to land.

As Evan mentioned at the start of the tread a NOTAM wasn't issued - It had nothing to do with a control tower. Chances are the tower wasn't operational or it was even closed when the aircraft landed - this is very common, especially in a war zone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back